• Advertisement

Toro T1800 Generator

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Toro T1800 Generator

Postby lefty » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:36 pm

Relating to this machine but off-topic... Is it ok to run Synthetic 5w-30 in this? It's not shown as an option on the manual but the machine is very old. Only reason I ask is that none of the oils shown really offer the range I think is appropriate for a generator. The owner uses it as back up so odds are, it's going to be very hot or very cold out when he needs it. A nice range of temperature would be ideal. The best listed in the manual would be 10w-30 or 10w-40. Both show they are good from 0-80 degrees.

My auto mechanic puts synthetic 5w-30 in all of his small equipment and always recommends it for that purpose. But then again, he sends his small equipment to me.

Thanks.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby bobodu » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:37 am

I run cheapo Walmart oil in everything...and CHANGE IT OFTEN..
It isn't a spacecraft or ocean going vessel..My generator oil gets changed...like NEVER because I very rarely use it.
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby lefty » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:06 am

bobodu wrote:I run cheapo Walmart oil in everything...and CHANGE IT OFTEN..
It isn't a spacecraft or ocean going vessel..My generator oil gets changed...like NEVER because I very rarely use it.

Well, when it was busting my balls last week I almost launched it into space...so I wouldn't necessarily say that.

But I get the point. Thank you.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:26 am

As I understand it you want to run a non-detergent oil in engine that don't have an oil filter. This is so particles are not continuously suspended in the oil. With engine that have oil filters you do want to use a detergent oil so the particles are keep suspended to allow the oil filter to filter them out.

As for synthetic vs conventional oils, Synthetics due have a much life and lubricate better. Just think my neighbor has a new Toyota PU that uses 0w20 synthetic motor oil and Toyota dealer only changes it every 10,000 miles.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:19 am

Thank you
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:03 pm

briggs says

When choosing lawn mower oil, use a high-quality detergent oil classified as "For Service SF, SG, SH, SJ" or higher. Do not use special additives.

no mention of oil filter and there isn't a briggs pushmower that I know of with a filter.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:21 am

There is a good reason to run non-detergent oils in non filter engines. It allows the contaminates to settle out of the oil into the lower portion of the crankcase away form the operating areas. Detergent oils are used where you want these particles suspended in the oil so that an oil filter can remove them.

In either case you want these particles removed from the operating areas one way or the other. This why you find all that grey mud (ground up aluminum) in the bottom of many non filtered engine's crankcases. Running a detergent oil in a non-filtered system just promotes higher wear levels.

Personally the user is welcome to use what ever they want as they usually do anyways. BTW oil quality is subjective as many cheaper oils claim meeting the standard but seldom do. Here we had a run of Dollar General labeled motor oil that was being burned (used up) at much higher rate than brand labeled oils. It since has pretty well disappeared from their store shelves. The rumor mill had it that they got sued over this but I have no direct knowledge of this.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum