• Advertisement

BS Older rectangular impulse fuel pump.

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

BS Older rectangular impulse fuel pump.

Postby Bob O » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:45 am

Do all these pumps have the smaller springs in the pump for a total of three [One larger Diam and two smaller]?
I pulled this BS 10HP [19G417 1181E1 990107YD] fuel pump off a generator I've had sitting for years and never used it. It would start but only for a second so I think fuel delivery issue.
Pulled it apart to clean the fuel system and noticed only the larger Diam. spring.

So how many spring in this darn thing?

Edit...I would swear I started it in the last two years but maybe old age is getting to me.
Edit..Tried to add pic.

Thanks,
Bob O

Advertisement

Re: BS Older rectangular impulse fuel pump.

Postby Bob O » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:14 am

Found this when looking for a repair kit..."This is the problem with the 692026: these fine springs dissolve over time, hence the repair kit."

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A13FBU

Maybe I'm not completely loosing my mind.
Bob O

Postby bgsengine » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:46 am

Bob O wrote:Found this when looking for a repair kit..."This is the problem with the 692026: these fine springs dissolve over time, hence the repair kit."

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A13FBU

Maybe I'm not completely loosing my mind.

ROFLMAO!!! Oh My God.. anyone who seriously believes those springs will dissolve in regular fuel must have had a mad scientist for a professor.. No they do not dissolve... (they might break apart from fatigue eventually, with the wires being so fine it is very easy to miss them .. many times Ive had to fix someone else's rebuild where they never took the old little last bit of spring off the posts) But if you really believe those springs will dissolve over time, I know where there's a bridge for sale in Brooklyn... The springs are tiny, even when you know they are there, it's difficult to take the pump apart (unless the gaskets separate easily and smoothly from pump body) without losing control of the springs - I learned to always take them apart in a large sink with a rag stuffed in the drain... 9 times out of 10 times when separating the diaphragm/gasket the little springs will go flying, even if you are expecting them to, you likely may never even see them go.... thus the legend of "Oh they must have dissolved in fuel" .... But thanks for a good chuckle this morning.. Still shaking my head that anyone would actually believe the springs dissolving in fuel... hehehehe
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby bluemower » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:48 pm

I checked the power portal and the 393397 fuel pump repair kit is only listed for the opposed twins and a few 25xxxx series engine. On all of these engines, the fuel pump is built into the carburetor.

I did not find this repair kit listed on the 19G417 series of engines. So, was this an oversight by Briggs, or is there a difference in the components? Maybe Briggs just wanted customers to buy the entire pump.
bluemower
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:43 pm

Actually that particular fuel pump has been superseded to the Hockey Puck style pump so the impulse line has to be rerouted.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:13 pm

Oh yeah the separate pumps.. They are still rebuildable, if you can find the Walbro kit (I think it was walbro) - been too long since I had any to work on, memory fades on details... since everything's gone to the one-piece pancakes... But, I do recall last one I ever did, I did find a repair kit, just not through Briggs ('cuz they were Obsoleted/NLA) - and I am pretty sure I remember it being the OEM, which I (my fading memory lets me..) believe was Walbro.... Want to say the WP series? ... But, since a new hockey puck pump can be had for $12 - $15 , and that kit I got was almost $20 (I did the pump rebuild for a custom application where the hockey puck pump would simply not be suitable because Plastic), seems to me for your purposes, better off just replacing with the hockey puck pancake pump..
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Bob O » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:14 am

Where can I verify Briggs & Stratton 393397 Fuel Pump Kit will work with this pump? The internal parts look the same but just looking to double check since I'm sloooow in the uptake department.
If this kit is wrong I have no problem getting the new style pump.
Thanks,
Bob O

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:33 am

I only seen one of these pumps and it was a long time ago; even though sometime in the last 12 yrs isn't all that long ago. Now all I can go by is the IPLs which they only show the pump that you have as Briggs has superseded.

Instead looking something that apparently Briggs hasn't published any info and I did look at about a dozen engine ipls that this was used on, I would just go ahead and convert it.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Bob O » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:36 am

Thanks
Bob O

Postby bobodu » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:31 am

Convert it and be done... :D
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Technical Discussion Forum