• Advertisement

Lithium Ion Batteries

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Lithium Ion Batteries

Postby dennis » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:21 pm

Has anyone had any experience using lithium ion batteries for starting power equipment, such as lawn tractors, chippers, splitters etc? They are smaller and lighter than lead-acid. Lots of motorcycles use them. Is the charging system of lawn tractors, etc. suitable, or would changes have to be made?
dennis
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Lithium Ion Batteries

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:34 pm

First the system must regulated (must charge) between between 13.4v and 14.6v. Under 13.4v the battery will never charge. Over 14.6v is likely trip the over voltage protection circuit in the battery. Also at freezing the battery must woken up. Just press the starter, let the battery sit for 30 seconds and you should have all the cranking power you need.

The only other downside is if you let the voltage drop below a certain threshold (which varies depending on the construction and brand), the battery could be toast. Otherwords they don't like being heavily discharged.

So far this all I have found.

Wording corrected...
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dennis » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:46 pm

Thanks, KE4AVB. I think you meant they DON'T like being heavily discharged. I am hanging a battery off the end of my woodsplitter, and the reduced weight and vibration resistance of a lithium battery are appealing....as long as they work ok.
dennis
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:53 pm

Yes that's what I meant to type. I will correct the post.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum