• Advertisement

Troybilt Auger Problem

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Troybilt Auger Problem

Postby lefty » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:13 pm

I have this machine in my shop: 31AS62N2711, Serial: 1F292B30274

Came in with a number of problems that I've addressed. Now I have an issue where the end of one of the augers is dragging ever so slightly against the head of one of the carriage bolts holding on the scraper bar.

All 4 auger blades are a little sloppy on the shaft. My guess is that I need to replace the plastic bushings in each of the auger blades? There does not seem to be any play in the impeller bearing and everything else seems to check out ok. Nothing seems bent or out of place. Am I on the right track?

Thanks.

Edit: Or maybe the hex flange bushings on either end?
lefty
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Troybilt Auger Problem

Postby Skywatcher » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:29 pm

Hi Lefty

While replacing the auger section bushings is probably not a bad idea, I don't see these bushings getting a lot of wear as the shaft should never spin in the bushings. I would be more inclined to start with the obvious causes. Has this machine been dropped onto the scraper edge bending the auger housing? Are the auger shaft end bushings worn? Are the bushing retainers properly secured to the sides of the auger housing? Make sure the scraper bar is OEM and is mounted outside the auger housing. Start with these things and let us know what you find. All the best,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby lefty » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:19 pm

I checked the alignment of the scraper bar and it doesn't look deformed or bent. The scraper bar is mounted inside the housing but it looks like that's where it supposed to be. There's a recessed area that looks like it's supposed to receive it and the bolt holes on either end line up in the current position. However, the end bushings do walk out and when I force them in, I have more clearance. According to the parts diagram, there's only supposed to be a washer there but there's a lot of space between the end bushing flange and the edge of the auger. So the end bushing isn't seating properly into its home. Maybe it's worn? I'm starting to lean towards those end bushings.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby Skywatcher » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:52 pm

Hi Again Lefty

Sounds to me like you might have a flared auger housing, the ends are no longer straight and perfectly parallel to each other. One could say the ends have probably bowed out a little, so need to be pulled in again in order to bring everything back to plumb, square and true. All the best,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby bgsengine » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:18 pm

Skywatcher wrote:Hi Again Lefty

Sounds to me like you might have a flared auger housing, the ends are no longer straight and perfectly parallel to each other. One could say the ends have probably bowed out a little, so need to be pulled in again in order to bring everything back to plumb, square and true. All the best,

Sky

That would be my guess.. it's common on those MTD units, especially if you find any signs of stones having been picked up in the auger or impeller - (gravel driveways and all that) - they like to wedge between blade and housing and cause deformations that send the bucket out of square... only real fix for that is a new auger housing.. and then explain to the customer (who will never listen anyway) that you have to run these at a minimum of 1 inch (if not the highest possible setting) on the skid shoes adjustment to avoid recurring damage... Never fails - every year I'd get them (and most of those customers had gravel driveways - the ones who could afford well maintained blacktop either had high end brands of snowblowers, or they had ATV's with snowplows... or they just paid someone to clear their driveways) You can't get a perfect machine by polishing a turd..
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby lefty » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:54 am

Thanks. I'll take a closer look at her today.

Calling this one a turd is being generous. Reassembling it is like packing a too-small suitcase.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:59 am

I just gave her a close examination. The bucket is in great shape overall. There is a scuff on the inside that looks like it could have been the location of a mishap involving a rogue stone. But besides that, I can't notice any deformity in the bucket. If it's there, it's extremely subtle.

This belongs to a friend who recently acquired it for free so we don't have a history.

A closer look at the diagram suggests that Sky is correct regarding the location of the shave plate. It shows it mounted on the underside. I may start there.

Thanks.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:09 pm

Strange as it sounds, the shave plate is in the right spot. I think the schematic has it wrong. Every video I find shows it on top and the mounting holes won't align with the sides if it goes on the bottom. In addition, the square seats for the carriage bolts are on the bar and not the bucket.

Also noticed that there is a bit of a gap between the hex flange bearing and the first auger on either side. About 1/2 inch. When I squeeze the sides together it flushes up like I would think it should look. Couldn't catch it with my eye but I can see how that might jam up the rest of it.

Looks like it's over $200 for a new one. What do we think about just deleting that carriage bolt and telling him to start saving up for a big boy snowblower? It does not appear that there is any trauma to the current housing so my guess is that this would just happen again. They're pretty flimsy.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:15 pm

Oh, yes.. check tire pressures.. oddly enough , uneven tire pressures can affect the bucket alignment especially if you press down on handles and see the bucket flex.. But as noted, those machines are not built with much precision, nor are they designed for much more than "every once in a while if it snows" use - beat up cheapo snowblowers are great sources for solid used engines, often enough, as the engine typically will outlast the machine.. I had one in that was probably used maybe 5 times EVER and picked up a big rock the first time it was used, bent the impeller and augers, which then were "straightened" by someone or the other , but the impeller would keep right on bending at even the slightest obstruction (Ice, etc) .. finally came to me, where I refused to try and "fix" it, other than replacing the impeller, auger, and gearbox... all together would have cost almost as much as a brand new snowblower.. owner junked it on the spot... Engine was then later used to power a logsplitter which is still going strong.. Long story short.. it is probably something you'll have to live with (or grind down the carriage bolt head where it hits auger.. maybe it's just a slightly "wrong" bolt? does it match all the other ones?)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby lefty » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:09 pm

The bolt looks correct but the ones in the middle have been grounded up from the pavement. One of the shoes was pretty much gone. The more I think about it, it looks like the bolts in the middle started dragging on the ground and putting upward pressure on the bottom of the bucket from the center maybe...causing the bucket to bow up. The one that's dragging is one of the inner auger blades.
lefty
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum