• Advertisement

Synthetic or Regular Oil

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Synthetic or Regular Oil

Postby dennis » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:18 pm

Briggs/Stratton Model 21R707, Type 0130-F1, Code 200121ZD

Advertisement for new engine says use synthetic oil. Manual says use regular or synthetic. Any suggestions for what is better for new small engines? Pros/Cons?
dennis
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Synthetic or Regular Oil

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:34 pm

Synthetic has a better operating temp range.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dennis » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:00 pm

Thanks, KE4AVB.
dennis
Forum Pro

Postby RoyM » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:14 pm

Synthetic is good but more expensive, unless you are putting a lot of hours on it or operating in extreme conditions I doubt if you will notice any difference.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby dennis » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:33 pm

Thanks, Roy. Won't be using much (oil change annually), but seeking good (quick) lubrication at start-up, especially after sitting for a long period.
dennis
Forum Pro

Postby bobodu » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:32 am

I run Walmart recycled oil.....If I had a $40,000 engine it would be different.
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby hanz63 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:37 am

There are probably advantages for some operators though. In my vehicles, they get synthetic. I've been told that the turbo engines appreciate it and stay cleaner to boot. How many engines actually have lubrication related failures really? Especially OPE. The inteks that blow create their own lack of lube cause for failure. Self deprecating little beasts anyway. It would have been nice for Briggs to man up and build fire rings into their gaskets...
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:05 pm

Currently I have a 2000 S1500 with 320K+ miles that benefited from a semi synthetic with moly. It increase my low oil pressure back around 60 psi where before it was 30 psi. So the moly did restore some wear that was present.

But as of last year I have replacing most of customer oil as oil changes occur with the Kawasaki 15w50 synthetic with zinc additive. Before that I was using Mobile One synthetic. This was done as the Kawasaki is the same price as the Mobile One from Tram-law which refuses to accept my state's sale tax exemption certificate. I still however still use conventional SAE 30 ND where non detergent is recommend especially in engines without pressurize oil systems.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby RoyM » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:29 pm

I would only use non detergent in pressure washer and compressor pumps to prevent foaming. IMHO air cooleds with splash systems operating in hot dirty environments need the best oil they can get.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:12 pm

Yes you want to use best you can afford but there is a reason for the use of non-detergents. You simply don't want particles that can settle out of the oil to continue circulating in the operating engines cause far damage. Detergent oils are use where oil pumps and filter are use just help the particles suspended long enough for the filter to capture them. Non detergents allows a mud of sorts to at the lowest point(s) in crankcase to remain there.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum