• Advertisement

Pony Golf Cart

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Pony Golf Cart

Postby Skywatcher » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:08 pm

Greetings All

A customer is restoring a 1950's Pony golf cart and has a problem with the Kohler 8 horse power engine. The diaphragm in the fuel pump has ruptured due to age and I need to know if a replacement diaphragm can be sourced anywhere. This pump looks like the regular K-series block mounted pump, but it works off crankcase crankcase vacuum as opposed to a mechanical lever actuated by the camshaft. Does anyone have any ideas. Thanks and all the best,

Sky

Engine Details:
Make: Kohler
Model: K181S
Spec: 30143d
Ser #: B99773 (could be 899773)
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Advertisement

Re: Pony Golf Cart

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:49 pm

The repair kit was 231597-S. Doing a search did show a NOS one on eBay. The complete fuel was PN B-231390 which only in NOS. Only found one in Maine on eBay.

I might add that spec number isn't on the Kohler Plus website so I had use an old copy of the IPL that has that spec in its range of specs.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Skywatcher » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:52 pm

Hi KE4

Thank you for the information, I'll do some research using those numbers. The customer just texted me a picture of the information plate on the golf cart and the engine. The cart is a Western Tool and Stamping Company, Des Moines, Iowa (the same company that used to make the Tomb Thumb toy typewriters) Par Pony model Nº 54700000. The engine is actually Spec # 30193D and the part numbers according to Parts Tree are exactly as you say. Thanks and all the best,

Sky
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:57 am

IF push comes to shove you can alway install the 240282-S block off plate and a gasket then use a Briggs vacuum pump setup. Just a thought if the Kohler parts can't be obtain.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Skywatcher » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:46 pm

Hi KE4

Now that's what I call a good idea. One could also drill and tap the block-off plate to accept a ⅛" NPT to ¼" barb fitting for the pulse line. There we go, problem solved. Thanks and all the best,

Sky
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:54 pm

Skywatcher wrote:Hi KE4

Now that's what I call a good idea. One could also drill and tap the block-off plate to accept a ⅛" NPT to ¼" barb fitting for the pulse line. There we go, problem solved. Thanks and all the best,

Sky
Yup. I've done that on a Kohler Command vertical that fuel pump was $125 USD at the time, too much money for the unit it was going into.. so, got a blockoff, drill & tap 1/8 NPT (sealed threads with Loctite Ultra Grey), fashioned a simple bracket to hold the briggs hockey puck pump and hooked 'er all up.. worked just fine.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Skywatcher » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:06 pm

Hi KE4 and BG

Thank you for your help finding part numbers and other suggestions. My customer has a friend who says he can find anything, so I've passed the part numbers onto him. Now the ball is in his court, and I won't waste anymore of my time on this. All the best,

Sky
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:13 pm

Sky, It not a total waste of time if you learn something from it.

I wonder if he can find the two custom made electric clutch holding tools I got here. :lol:

Probably not as I have never posted or released the drawings. Matter of fact the two proto-types are in the my locked tool box.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum