• Advertisement

Bush Hog Fininshing mower

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Bush Hog Fininshing mower

Postby SUKI » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:14 am

I working a Bush Hog RDTH60 with a 70015 gear box. Lower seal has been leaking so someone instead getting the problem fixed try using hi tack chainsaw bar lube in it. What a mess. No wonder I don't like the stuff.

Just wondering should I clean all that sticky mess out before I replace the seal or just leave it in the gear box? I do know the current customer's wife has nearly barred him from the house because of it getting all over her house. Darn stuff is like hot chewing gum when comes the stringiness.

Boy it looks strange for me to using a engine crane to work on this but my shoulder won't do the work otherwise. I not a weaken but the shoulder pain just makes me looks like one. In some positions I can't even hold up an impact gun anymore.
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Advertisement

Re: Bush Hog Fininshing mower

Postby Skywatcher » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:23 am

Hi Suki

What you're describing almost sounds like Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer, that stuff makes chainsaw chain oil look positively fluid. If this was in my shop. I'd clean everything out, replace the seal and refill with OEM specified oil. I figure the manufacturer specifies a certain oil for each application as the oil has the correct properties for the gear box in question. That's my 2­­¢ worth on this one. All the best and hope your shoulder gets better,

Sky

PS. Winter came back last week, low last night -32ºC ( -26ºF or 241ºK) and that's not including the wind-chill. Stay warm and safe everyone.
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Re: Bush Hog Fininshing mower

Postby SUKI » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:26 am

You can send that back North for my part. I glad that so it only been in the upper teens here so far this year. Expecting some that wave to hit here and hoping it will miss us as much as it can. To be honest I am already tired of the freezing wet weather here.

Anyway I will not be getting back to the Bush Hog until probably late next week as it supposed to at or below freezing all the way until next Friday, starting Saturday here. I having to wait on a 46mm (1-13/16") socket. THe biggest I had here is the 1-5/16" one. Oh well just another darn tool I had to get. Boy it looks like another tool cabinet is in my future.
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Technical Discussion Forum