• Advertisement

Tecumseh 10HP fuel line size??

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Tecumseh 10HP fuel line size??

Postby 38racing » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:00 am

I just checked my aftermarket. They are offering two that quote the briggs oem number. The cheaper claims 7/16 od and more expensive 1/2 od. I'll need to go back and check which I ordered and measure the actual od.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:28 am

I found a section of the Oregon 07-016 and now I know why I don't have it stock any more. I now remember I had problems with it and ethanol fuel blends as the line became stiff over time plus I had some sealing problems too. It is due to the plastic liner it has instead of having a Nitrile liner. As far size it is 11.11 mm [7/16"] OD. I still use it as vapor line without problems.

I will need to order the Briggs line before I know how it is constructed.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:46 pm

KE4AVB wrote:I found a section of the Oregon 07-016 and now I know why I don't have it stock any more. I now remember I had problems with it and ethanol fuel blends as the line became stiff over time plus I had some sealing problems too. It is due to the plastic liner it has instead of having a Nitrile liner. As far size it is 11.11 mm [7/16"] OD. I still use it as vapor line without problems.

I will need to order the Briggs line before I know how it is constructed.
Briggs line is all nitrile rubber with braided liner - no plastic - Same as the fuel lines you typically find on new briggs engines.. Bear in mind, not supposed to use the 395051R line on newer engines (Those that require non-permeable fuel lines) Briggs does have a 1/2" O.D. fuel line non-permeable as well in those 25 ft bulk boxes.. Can't think of the part number at the moment, but it starts with a 7.. (both fuel lines look just the same, and match the black rubber hoses on all the briggs engines, only real difference is O.D., price, and permeability)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:23 pm

Sounds like those non-permeable lines I have recently ran into where the liners are collapsing on and causing fuel delivery problems.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:58 pm

KE4AVB wrote:Sounds like those non-permeable lines I have recently ran into where the liners are collapsing on and causing fuel delivery problems.

Only time I have seen that is when the fuel lines have gotten old and aged, and shoulda been replaced long ago anyways (my philosophy with fuel lines was pretty much to replace the fuel line unless I knew or could tell it was less than 2 years old... and any time I see any cracking on the I.D. - Squeeze the fuel line after removing it from a fitting and look for any trace of cracking on the I.D. - it got a new fuel line... Of course, that could get tricky when you had to deal with specially formed fuel lines (which could be horribly expensive sometimes) but yeah, only time I really found any collapsed fuel lines was when they were quite aged... fresh new Briggs fuel lines, soft, flexible, easy to install, but didn't collapse (unless you try to put a sharp bend in it and it kinks, but pretty much any fuel line would kink under such conditions) and since I usually bought it by the box, and sold it at like 25 cents an inch (which was a nice fat markup), cost wasn't a big issue, barely made a difference in repair bills, and that high margin profit was nice if you sold enough fuel line bit by bit... (At peak, I could typically go through 2 boxes a year, if not more.. and that was a small one-man shop) when they put out the non-permeable hose, I got a box of that too, it was much stiffer, but still easily worked... and that stuff, I sold at 60 cents an inch... (I used much less of it, so a box paid for itself in about 6-8 months, the rest was pure profit)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:12 pm

That probably the case as I very rarely see anything new here; unless, I happen to sell a replacement engine. I don't really like those Tygon LP1200 lines either.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby toro-8-2-4 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:00 pm

I stay away from Tygon tubing. It has some benefits but It just does not last very long. General 1/4" ID 1/2" OD automotive fuel line works for 80% of the applications. The other 20% are the Horizontal Tecumseh motors that need the 7/16 OD. Since it is more expensive I only use that where it is essential and use the less expensive 1/2" od line everywhere else.
toro-8-2-4

Postby hanz63 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:26 pm

792020 is the PN on the low perm Briggs fuel line for those interested.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:30 am

toro-8-2-4 wrote:I stay away from Tygon tubing. It has some benefits but It just does not last very long. General 1/4" ID 1/2" OD automotive fuel line works for 80% of the applications. The other 20% are the Horizontal Tecumseh motors that need the 7/16 OD. Since it is more expensive I only use that where it is essential and use the less expensive 1/2" od line everywhere else.

I use more Tygon line here than any other fuel line but it is because I work on a lot of 2 cycle equipment. I have yet to see a lawn mower using the 1/4 Tygon F-4040 line here.

Matter of fact I don't have anything in Tygon over a 1/8 ID in stock. I do rubber tubing in 1/8ID and larger for some of the Kid atvs but on them when I can I use the 3/16 ID Braided fuel line. I also tried the Stens True Blue supposedly 100 ethanol resistance fuel line. Well it isn't what it claims. It does both shrink and harden after just a month submerged in 10% ethanol fuel mix. I had a lot better results from reg Tygon F-4040 fuel line. All Tygon labeled fuel line is actually Tygon line as there is a lot of fakes out there.

But this thread was in relation to the Tecumseh engines which is just something that I don't here anymore as they are dead in my area. I might have seen one in the last two years. It is worth noting that on the Kohler M8 series this 7/16 OD line is also needed as the line passes behind the flywheel.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:49 pm

I checked my aftermarket line . it has Oregon number on it and is printed as 1/4 id 7/16 od but caliper had od at .45. Costs me 22 cdn for 25 ft. They have more pliable for more $ but says od is 1/2.
38racing
Forum Pro

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum