• Advertisement

Puzzling parts lookup briggs snow engine

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Puzzling parts lookup briggs snow engine

Postby 38racing » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:00 pm

I have a 750 series 10dnnnn engine. It has gear flywheel and starter mounting holes. I was curious as to what starter it took. The ipl has a picture of it and it's item 309. In in the list there is no 309. That seems to usually mean they use the same picture for several models and parts list matches actual model. That implies my model has no electric starter? Parts list does have part number for the starter mounting bracket and some mounting bolt and pin? Don't need a mounting bracket if there's no starter to mount.
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Puzzling parts lookup briggs snow engine

Postby bgsengine » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:51 pm

No big mystery, it depends on the spec number of the engine - yes they use same base images for parts lookups, but the parts list typically (on the portal at least) only shows items that are used on that particular type code spec.. so if the engine never came originally equipped with starter, it won't be in the parts list.. but as a rule of thumb, for the snow engines, I believe there is pretty much just one starter (sold as an accessory kit) to fit those.. so if you got the accessory kit, then you'd have pretty much everything you needed to put on the starter (including brackets, usually) - most all of those snow engines used 120 volt electric starters, any charging system they might have would be AC voltage output for powering a headlight... that is why you really MUST have model, TYPE and DATE CODE all together for accurate parts lookups
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:48 am

bgsengine wrote:No big mystery, it depends on the spec number of the engine - yes they use same base images for parts lookups, but the parts list typically (on the portal at least) only shows items that are used on that particular type code spec.. so if the engine never came originally equipped with starter, it won't be in the parts list.. but as a rule of thumb, for the snow engines, I believe there is pretty much just one starter (sold as an accessory kit) to fit those.. so if you got the accessory kit, then you'd have pretty much everything you needed to put on the starter (including brackets, usually) - most all of those snow engines used 120 volt electric starters, any charging system they might have would be AC voltage output for powering a headlight... that is why you really MUST have model, TYPE and DATE CODE all together for accurate parts lookups

Yes according the correct IPL the 10D engine has only a 60 watts AC stator. Now since 38 wanted to be secretive about which he has he will need to make sure he has the 591627 flywheel. IF he does then the starter is 591703. Although I found it under 12/24 DC starter code, it should still be a 120 or 240 vac starter. This depends if they stuck with code system or not. Which nowadays anything is possible.

I was however unable to find an image of the starter to verify. So 38 is going to need to contact his parts guys and ask for someone to get off their duff and look.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:48 am

When I posted I wasn't handy to my full model number. Based on my computer file it might be 10d132 etc. I'm going to double check it. I did find a briggs single stage blower with electric start that showed engine as 10d135 etc. It's ipl is exact pictorial and gives a number for the electric starter. That's when memory came back that last digit before code has starter info. As you say I'm wondering if the model number decoder I just pulled up is out of date as it shows 5 as 12 or 24 volt and 3 as having 110v. Snowblower was definitely 110v.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:56 am

Based on what I'm seeing this engine will remain pull start. A guy is trying to sell a similar Briggs starter on kijiji. Shows invoice of 260$cdn. So I google the part number. Available from cubcadet for one of their blowers for $282$us. Crazy. I paid $88 cdn for the engine as new clearance item.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:02 am

bgsengine wrote:No big mystery, it depends on the spec number of the engine - yes they use same base images for parts lookups, but the parts list typically (on the portal at least) only shows items that are used on that particular type code spec.. so if the engine never came originally equipped with starter, it won't be in the parts list.. but as a rule of thumb, for the snow engines, I believe there is pretty much just one starter (sold as an accessory kit) to fit those.. so if you got the accessory kit, then you'd have pretty much everything you needed to put on the starter (including brackets, usually) - most all of those snow engines used 120 volt electric starters, any charging system they might have would be AC voltage output for powering a headlight... that is why you really MUST have model, TYPE and DATE CODE all together for accurate parts lookups

Have to kick the habit of expecting one ipl that showed you everything with the type and code variations all listed.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:02 am

38racing wrote:When I posted I wasn't handy to my full model number. Based on my computer file it might be 10d132 etc. I'm going to double check it. I did find a briggs single stage blower with electric start that showed engine as 10d135 etc. It's ipl is exact pictorial and gives a number for the electric starter. That's when memory came back that last digit before code has starter info. As you say I'm wondering if the model number decoder I just pulled up is out of date as it shows 5 as 12 or 24 volt and 3 as having 110v. Snowblower was definitely 110v.

Yes that is it but of all the 200+IPLs for the 10D series only 22 units (21 are 10D135-####) shows a starter and they all are coded as 12/24 starters that why I suggest getting your sources to check to make sure.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum