• Advertisement

Honda GX200

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Honda GX200

Postby Gerry » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:29 pm

Got a Porter Cable generator with a Honda GX200 Mod: GCACT 1102196. Owner put a compatible china carb on it. I got it to where it would start and it failed wide open. I have check the linkage and springs look ok. I adjusted the governor it will now start and idle....the problem is that as I increase the throttle lever the speed increases up to about 5K. My question when I adjusted the governor what speed position should the throttle lever be in? Or is there an stop post someplace that can be adjusted to stop the throttle lever at top RPM? To clarify the only reason the engine overspeed is that the throttle lever is advancing past factory RPM.

Thanks in advance.
Gerry
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Honda GX200

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:41 pm

From Service manual.

Governor Static adjust.

①. Remove the fuel tank.
②. Loosen the nut on the governor arm and move the governor
arm to fully open the throttle.
③. Rotate the governor arm shaft as far as it will go in the same
direction the governor arm moved to open the throttle.
Tighten the nut on the governor arm.
④. Start the engine and allow it to warm up to normal operating
temperature. Move the throttle lever to run the engine at the
standard maximum speed, and adjust the throttle lever limiting
screw so the throttle lever cannot be moved past that point.
Maximum engine speed: 3,750 ± 150 min-1 (rpm) (DS type)
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Gerry » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:19 pm

When I do it the proper way it fails, if I turn the gov shaft all the way counter clockwise it will start and idle. When I move the throttle lever from what would normally be the wide open position the rpm increase, when I get to what should be the idle position it speeds up to about 4500rpms. Dunno man says its never been worked on :bricks: cant find a manual for it but found on the gas tank MOD PH3510s and a date that I read as March, 17 of 2004 (031704). It looks in excellent shape and just a few hours maybe.

Dunno just dont make sense.
Gerry
Guide

Postby toro-8-2-4 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:08 am

Some after market carbs have a tab that interferes with the throttle from opening all the way. If this is case, (i dont know if it is), you will have to bend that tab a bit.

If you set the Governor up per the instructions above and the RPM is still too high, you may have to bend the link a bit to slow it down to the stated RPM.

How are you measuring the RPM? Are you sure the instrument is set up correctly? If your instrument gives you the option for 2 cycle or 4 cycle choose 2 cycle. This is because your 4 cycle fires every revolution.

Good Luck.
toro-8-2-4

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:01 pm

Are sure about the model number or could it be the PH3501S? IF so Porter doesn't list much in parts but they listed the alternator resistances.

Generator head troubleshooting
Resistance values
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Gerry » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:48 am

Thanks for all the help, went to the junk carb bucket and pulled out an old OEM for a comparison to chine lee, found the problem. When I compare the two the throttle shaft (on aftermarket) connector for the governor rod and spring is at a different offset and it draws the rod farther back. OEM on the way.

Thanks again.
Gerry
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:55 am

For me it rare that I buy clone carburetor anymore as I had so many that were just junk. Some time even OEM carburetors from China are wrong. I had a blower that the replacement OEM carburetor flood everytime the choke was applied. I ended up modifying the choke plate.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Gerry » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:54 pm

KE4AVB wrote:For me it rare that I buy clone carburetor anymore as I had so many that were just junk. Some time even OEM carburetors from China are wrong. I had a blower that the replacement OEM carburetor flood everytime the choke was applied. I ended up modifying the choke plate.

I'm in the same boat, have not had much luck out of the clones, same as some of the Kohler pull starter assy on the XT675s only lasted a few pulls.
Gerry
Guide

Postby 38racing » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:19 am

Just mailed back the clone carb for the briggs 1350 blower engine since the primer didn't work. Watched a james conden generator video. Surging issue on a honda. Had aftermarket carb he thought. Swapped with another. No change. Ordered OEM. No change. He fixed it by enlarging jet on one of the aftermarket's jet and putting it into the OEM.
38racing
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum