• Advertisement

Powermore bowl gasket?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Powermore bowl gasket?

Postby hanz63 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:32 am

Are there proper kits or really bowl seals for these? I've got the thing running well again, but the bowl isn't sealing and will drip when I turn the mower up. This one looks to be a square style seal. If it started out that way, who knows. It is a Troy 12AVB22J766 , 951-14423 carb.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Powermore bowl gasket?

Postby Gerry » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:36 am

I think the kit is part number 951-14446. If I remember right most of the small parts are only available in the kit.
Gerry
Guide

Postby SUKI » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:22 pm

Probably take a bowl gasket from a Honda GX160 carburetor but that is just a guess.
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby hanz63 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:40 pm

Hmm, the pic in the kit looks like it is a round style o ring, but isn't the same needle. It has the same, or similar needle as the Kohler XT , but rings weren't right. Pesky things anyways.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:55 pm

That's MTD for you.. One thing I have noticed, only some parts lists will show spare parts for the carb (The gasket is available separately, can't recall the number offhand.. I used to sell a lot of them) what I have usually had best luck with is looking up the engine model (4P60U or some such) in the MTD parts catalogs (sometimes just a google search will bring one up) even if it is not for the specific mower model... and one or the other version sometimes has a carb parts breakdown that you can maybe source a part from.. But generally, MTD wants you to just replace the whole carb (even if all you need is the bowl gasket!) and the other problem is, MTD *OFTEN* , sometimes 2 or 3 times a YEAR, would change carburetor part numbers (because they got them from different source) and the old numbers (and styles of parts) go NLA (unless you find someone with N.O.S. on hand) So, correct kit for one carb likely may not quite fit on the replacement (if whole carb was replaced before) going by the mower model, or even the engine model..

It go so frustrating (and time wasted trying to figure that crap out) , I just quit stocking parts and quoted the customer for a new carb, telling them if It needed ANY replacement parts, they were not available... Just like with the off brand china clone stuff.... very hard to find correct parts since they rarely ever even made replacement parts available for the engine - They would just build it crate it and ship it, buyer beware if you got lucky you got a good engine... if not, good luck getting warranty... (and most times you had to send it back, they'd just send you a new engine, sometimes.. and cost to send it back was on your dime)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby RoyM » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:11 pm

My former employer was the western Canada distributor for MTD, management dropped the line because of the complaints and lack of support.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:52 pm

Yep, that's the way it goes. I'm sure to tell folks the replacement part issues when they ask what mower they should buy. It seems like a good carb, no ethanol issues. Seal part is reference letter something or other. The auto choke with the additional air vane to pull it off works better than some. Just buy a 70 some $ carb and it will all be OK...
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:57 am

For the bowl gasket try PN 951-11589 from the P65; although, I think the gx160 gasket that Suki suggested will also work. I just haven't seen the 5X65RU engine.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:25 pm

Thanks for the MTD number and the thoughts on the Honda. Giving it a shot.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:45 am

This last week I got these engines in the shop and just pull the fuel bowl. 1X65VU engine using the 1X65BA carburetor. The Honda GX160 bowl is a little small but will fit if gently stretched to fit. It might take a stretches to stay out long enough to get the bowl back on. Since I am order parts in the morning I go ahead and order the MTD bowl gaskets and needle valves. The needle valve here is ringed so I will sub a Honda GX160 valve.

EDIT: The Honda GX160 needle valve is too short; therefore, will not work. Also by crossing the carburetor PN found another version of the engine that listed the same carburetor PN and was able to get the correct bowl gasket and needle valve PNs.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum