• Advertisement

YTH 2348 240442 Steering

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

YTH 2348 240442 Steering

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:19 am

I ran into a new design of the Husqvarna twin tie rod setup. In the past it was simple to remove the arms attached to the steering sector gear. The one I did yesterday required dropping the steering and the sector assembly. Then sector gear has to be removed as they put two plastic bushings covering the tie rod nuts. It not even listed or shown for the 240442 but I did find it on the 240443. PN 532444962. It took removing the deck and 1-1/2 hours later the job was completed. What was a 30 minutes job now take 3X the time.

ImageImage
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: YTH 2348 240442 Steering

Postby bgsengine » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:31 pm

That is why I say several of the consumer models of deere were built by husqvarna .. that's identical to a number of deeres I have worked on.. I always just dropped the sector plate (which most often was the bushing worn out causing steering issues) made getting the nuts off the tie rods quite easy .. once you get used to them, it's not bad time-wise
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:14 pm

bgsengine wrote:That is why I say several of the consumer models of deere were built by husqvarna .. that's identical to a number of deeres I have worked on.. I always just dropped the sector plate (which most often was the bushing worn out causing steering issues) made getting the nuts off the tie rods quite easy .. once you get used to them, it's not bad time-wise

Yes I done several JDs too as usually having to adjust the toe in/out which also be time consuming removing, adjusting, and reinstalling the tie rod several times. I can usually just put a box end wrench on the nuts for the tie rods without dropping the sector gear assembly. But with this Husqvarna they put these caps on and the only way to get to the nuts is to disassemble everything in the steering.

If I had to do multiple fits to get the toe right it would taken most of the day.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:34 pm

I wonder if they hold design meetings whose purpose is to make designs hard to service. I have my son in law's outboard. No idea yet how to check shift rod.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:43 pm

38racing wrote:I wonder if they hold design meetings whose purpose is to make designs hard to service..
Sounds a lot like typical shop conversation in every auto and small engine shop I ever worked in.. They don't build em to be fixed.. they build em to sell.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Arkie » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:23 pm

bgsengine wrote:
38racing wrote:I wonder if they hold design meetings whose purpose is to make designs hard to service..
Sounds a lot like typical shop conversation in every auto and small engine shop I ever worked in.. They don't build em to be fixed.. they build em to sell.

Amen:

The harder they are to troubleshoot and or fix the less likely they will get fixed and time to buy NEW.

A guy needs to closely watch his minimum charge just to give a repair estimate and make sure the customer understands the minimum charge because lots of people think the repair diagnosis estimate should be a freebie. (if they decide to not have it repaired)
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:42 pm

Arkie wrote:Amen:

The harder they are to troubleshoot and or fix the less likely they will get fixed and time to buy NEW.

A guy needs to closely watch his minimum charge just to give a repair estimate and make sure the customer understands the minimum charge because lots of people think the repair diagnosis estimate should be a freebie. (if they decide to not have it repaired)

And I have always charaged a base estimate fee depend on the equipment which when not repaired gets charged or basically get written off if the repair is approved. I had a few not wanting to pay it and leave the equipment which just sits here until it get parted but the next time that customer comes in with a repair gets worked into the new repair bill. IE hidden like the guy that lost a expensive hat while performing a job for his company. He first tried just adding it the expensive but they turned it down so his expensive included it again but told that hat was in the report it was their turn to find it. :lol:
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum