• Advertisement

Old TroyBilt Tiller Carb

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Old TroyBilt Tiller Carb

Postby bgsengine » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:10 pm

Lefty - try this: unhook governor spring from governor lever entirely for testing purposes, see if the internal governor will hold throttle closed (and if it will even try to fight you moving the throttle lever on carb by hand) - also while assembled with gov spring unhooked, carefully observe the full range of throttle lever movement to see if you feel any kind of binding from fully closed to fully open (engine not running) .. If the governor will fight to keep the throttle closed when moving throttle manually by hand, with engine running, internals are typically OK.. but if not, then your governor is probably flown apart (especially if the governor had been incorrectly adjusted by turning governor shaft wrong way and then running engine - without governor arm inside to provide resistance, the flyweights can fling out from under the spool, even if the spool doesn't fly off entirely) in which case you'd have to crack 'er open for a look-see If governor does want to push back against manual movement of throttle, then maybe you just have the wrong spring (or the aforementioned binding, which can happen from worn links or egged holes where the links hook in)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby lefty » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:40 am

I will do that today. Thank you. I could probably poke my borescope through one of the oil fill holes and peek inside as well after draining the oil.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:13 am

Disconnected the governor spring allowing the governor its full governance. She ran away on me. I was able to hold her down manually by holding the throttle on the carb but as soon as I let go, it shot up to 3000 very quickly. So we have a confirmed bad governor?
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:31 am

Left with the governor disconnected the engine should had stayed at idle when you move the throttle valve to idle position. The purpose of the governor spring is pull the throttle valve open and governor pushes the throttle vane closed. So if the when move the throttle to closed it should had no pull on it other than the intake vacuum; otherwords, you should not feel a pull from the governor. You may have something connected backwards.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:57 am

Question: To confirm you do not have something connected backwards in the linkages???

With the engine not running and all the linkages connected and the manual throttle disconnected,
If you push UP on the Governor arm with your finger by the spring does the carb indicate it goes to idle position?????

If the throttle shows increase you have the bell crank linkage connected backwards or something else is backwards.

If the carb shows it goes to idle as you lift up on the arm and the static gov is adjusted correctly you have internal gov issues.

If you determine that the gov is bad internally do not start the engine again or some of the parts may get in the gears and break teeth. (and be sure you find all the little broken pieces pieces internally, may have to use a small magnet and roll the engine around on a piece of clean flat metal. Small loose pieces will do lots of damage to the gear teeth, etc)

My computer is not staying on-line good today (proxy sever is squirrley) so I may not be back for a reply.

Good luck to Ya.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:26 pm

Static adjustment:
With the throttle cable disconnected, I loosened the 3/8 nut, held the throttle on the carb wide open and turned the governor stem clockwise. Then tightened the 3/8 nut back up again.

When I push up on the governor arm, it forces the throttle on the carb closed.

When I ran this prior with the governor spring disconnected (the spring that connects the throttle cable "u" lever to the governor arm), the governor was unable to close the throttle on the carb via the linkage from the arm to the carb. It didn't even look like it was trying to move. It just kind of flopped around.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:46 pm

lefty wrote:Static adjustment:
With the throttle cable disconnected, I loosened the 3/8 nut, held the throttle on the carb wide open and turned the governor stem clockwise. Then tightened the 3/8 nut back up again.

When I push up on the governor arm, it forces the throttle on the carb closed.

When I ran this prior with the governor spring disconnected (the spring that connects the throttle cable "u" lever to the governor arm), the governor was unable to close the throttle on the carb via the linkage from the arm to the carb. It didn't even look like it was trying to move. It just kind of flopped around.

Then it does like internal governor failure. Time to split the case to verify the failure.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:05 pm

Will do. Thank you.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:00 pm

Well this is disappointing... It looks like the governor is working just fine. But maybe I'm wrong. I've attached a video of the whole debacle.

https://youtu.be/jI-FTm0uI38

Notice the bend in the linkage that leads from the governor arm to the carb. Any signficance?
Thanks.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:24 am

??????? :o :?:

See if any of these 3 you tube videos of that style carb, governor and linkages gives you any hints as to what is going on?
Always have the lower gas tank engine block bolt secure when running the engine and it's a good thing to check it every once in a blue moon. If it comes loose it will eventually cause a ear to break off those type carbs. (and keep a heads up when tightening the carb's ear studs as a ear can easily snap off due to a soft gasket or slight binding)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IbFOEDMGGs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B12rX9pWtTk

https://www.https://www.bing.com/videos ... &FORM=VIRE
Arkie
Forum Pro

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum