• Advertisement

Belt Length Question?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Belt Length Question?

Postby Matt » Sat May 15, 2021 9:16 pm

Hello Yah'll, I have a question regarding the correct deck belt for a 1997/98? Scotts 42" lawn tractor model 42589x31. The scotts # is 774018, OE belt cannot be found/purchased so off to aftermarket. I have replaced the belt once before using a Gates 6889, which was the replacement belt recommended by Gate lookup tool, the belt was a little long but it worked up until today. By doing a search using a popular search engine, i have come up with dozens and dozens of hits and lengths of varying lengths, which one is correct i dont know. Seems as if every manufacturer makes a version of this belt with no uniform/standard length, its all over the place. Would any of you know the correct length/dimension of the 774018 belt, its the deck belt not the drive belt. Thanks, Matt
Matt
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: Belt Length Question?

Postby bgsengine » Sat May 15, 2021 9:27 pm

Its a murray part number. Briggs 774018 but , since murray is long gone, and briggs pretty much out of the OPE business (going back to just engines, last I knew of, with Snapper/Simplicity/Ferris on the market or sold) I believe the part number is likely NLA from them any longer, so you're left with aftermarket - Similar length to the 37x88MA , it appears (but different cross section) , supposedly 89.38 inch length I believe the 37X88MA may work for you though since you say your 89" gates belt was a little long - the HA cross section of the 37x88 might make up for that.. Here's one on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Murr ... B07SB9FQTB
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby 38racing » Sun May 16, 2021 5:55 am

This comes up with same murray belt but says 88 7/8.
https://www.bantasaw.com/catalog/viewpr ... ?i=&p=5244
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun May 16, 2021 7:17 am

Well I just measured the 37X88MA here and it is HA x 89.25. But an old aftermarket belt here was labeled as 1/2 x 88-1/4". So it just adds to the confusion.

But 710213 is crossing to the 37X88MA belts here too.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Matt » Sun May 16, 2021 8:24 pm

Thanks gents, i ended up ordering 2 aramid belts today, 1: 37x88, 2: 37x89 from a local retailer who has them on hand but unfortunately cannot do an in-person comparison only a curbside pickup due to the current times that we're in. I'll post back with what i have found in the event one of these will work or not, perhaps helping someone in the future. I kept my old original belts as spares to have in case i lost a belt and over the years, they became a PIA so i threw them out, dumb, could have used one of them now. To add, i have seen lengths anywhere from 88 1/8" - 89 5/8", i have not yet measured the belt thats on there now, its the gates 6889 which was a little long when new, i do recall having to adjust the engagement mechanism to work, i just didnt have the time this weekend. Like i mentioned, ill post back with what i find in case it might help someone. Id like to thank yah'll for your time and effort!!! Be safe.
Matt
Forum Regular

Postby 38racing » Sun May 16, 2021 8:50 pm

be aware that the number after the x in a murray belt has nothing to do with the size. It's just an assigned part number. That 37x89 is 86 1/2 inches long.
https://www.bantasaw.com/catalog/viewpr ... ?i=&p=5243
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon May 17, 2021 6:42 am

Also once you actually know what belt is supposedly used on that mower then you need to check the replacement belts sizes. After market belt suppliers are really bad about sending the wrong in the sleeves. OEM are also known to send off sizes at times but happen rarely. I once got several Gates A86 belts that were only 86" even though the sleeves indicated 88'. And just last week I got a Stens belt that their website indicated it as being 106" but in real life (otherwords in hand) it measured 107". Second time in five years that I have found this with Stens. A&I (Sunbelt) is the worst that I have ran into with belts being 1" to 2" short. So much so that I refuse to buy or use their belts any more.

This why I actually measured the 37X88MA belt here using a v-belt measuring tool so I do know the length I post is right for the one I have in stock.

One my problems with OEMs is the fact they don't want to publish belt sizes. Otherwords they want to protect their gravy money source. But as the repairman I need this info for proper repairs as I never know what has been slapped on the equipment as a will do fit. Problems arise later if someone makes a typo when the entering belt size later too.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum