• Advertisement

Ridiculous prices increase by some OEMs

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Ridiculous prices increase by some OEMs

Postby KE4AVB » Mon May 31, 2021 9:20 pm

Has anyone else noticed some of the ridiculous price increase by some OEMs.

Here I had a fuel bowl kit from Briggs to go from under $30 to nearly $110 (268 % increase). And just today a MTD PTO cable that was last November $9.50 now is 30.28 (219% increase). Now of I haven't loaded the latest MTD price file but that is the price at the distributors website.

But boy it looks like the OEMs has set in to ripoff the consumers and shops by price gouging us. It a good thing that I got a fairly large inventory on hand. Of course I am depleting it fairly quickly but I am currently not restocking these ridiculous priced items.

I sure hope things settle down soon or I just close up the shop. The customers are screaming bloody murder.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Ridiculous prices increase by some OEMs

Postby 38racing » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:52 am

I have. I needed a mtd deck chute. Mtd wanted 85 cdn. A dealer showed it at 105. Just paid 36 cdn for a mtd engine on snowblower.
Tariffs?
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby RoyM » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:02 am

Part of it is the cost of raw materials, steel is going through the roof due to demand and stock market speculation. You tried buying lumber lately? :o Also as demand drops for parts on older machines that are retired and replaced the cost goes up. If they are producing 500 clutch cables vs 5,000 per year which one is cheaper? Fixed costs stay the same. I think they also want to kill demand for non profitable items.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:24 pm

The very reason why the shop I was planning on building this Summer is now on hold. If they think I going to pay 3-4x the price for lumber just because they want to price gouge, they are nuts. I rather keep working under the shade trees.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:55 pm

KE4AVB wrote:The very reason why the shop I was planning on building this Summer is now on hold. If they think I going to pay 3-4x the price for lumber just because they want to price gouge, they are nuts. I rather keep working under the shade trees.
invest a portion of the money into a portable sawmill, buy loads of poles from local loggers, cut your own lumber (and then you can sell what you don't use for half the price of Home Depot and still make money hand over fist) - A Woodland Mills sawmill might have a nice return on investment.. all you'd need is to learn how to stack and dry your lumber (build a solar kiln perhaps, for quicker returns) I've been tempted but I don't have the acreage space to put a sawmill and loads of logs..
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby hanz63 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:53 pm

I agree. Sometimes it is a real head shaker. Noticed hikes even on belts. My customers don't give me grief about it though. There are enough other things in the world that either they can't get or when they do, it is felt.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:13 pm

Looking at kijiji buy sell. Fellow looking for an mtd deck spindle. Spline design. Look number he gave up on my aftermarket. Limited quantity $68 cdn. Checked mtdparts.ca . $290 cdn. Then 38 tax on top of that. Unreal.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:45 pm

Found a parts place online in Calgary Canada. For interest I checked aftermarket. Not much but sparkplugs were listed. 10 ngk br2lm to my door all in would be 95$ cdn. Exact same order from rockauto would be $ 35 cdn
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby SUKI » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:22 pm

See it does pays to shop around at times.

I just save about $20 on a DB starter by buying it through Amazon instead of direct.
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Technical Discussion Forum