• Advertisement

793880 camshaft failures

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

793880 camshaft failures

Postby SUKI » Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:58 pm

Guys I had a lot 793880 ACR failures over the years but a new worrying problem is happening when these ACR fails. I had three in a row to take out the governor/oil slinger. The latest engine even shows damage from metal fragment getting slammed between the piston rod and the crankcase right at the cylinder.

Why can't Briggs realize there is a major problem with these camshaft ACRs. Even the latest supersede part is no better than the older part. One customer done had tow failures in less than 6 months. The last one destroyed the governor completely. Since after market camshaft are now on the market and seems to be just about as good as the OEM. I see no point paying nearly $60 for one that just going to fail within a few months when I can get an AM version for $30.
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Advertisement

Re: 793880 camshaft failures

Postby bgsengine » Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:51 pm

SUKI wrote:
Why can't Briggs realize there is a major problem with these camshaft ACRs.
They realize it, they just don't care. especially now that due to the bankruptcy thing a lot of their potential past warranty obligations are discharged - if they don't use that cam or design any more, it's no skin off their back and more money in their pockets from parts sales & replacement engine sales, etc.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby hanz63 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:57 pm

Like 20-30% of them have other issues from the breakage. I'm upfront before the teardown. You have to be. Some errors are fatal. I've had damaged blocks, sumps. You do your repair and just figure they will be back in a year for head gasket anyways.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:40 am

Yes you got the inform that although you know camshaft has fail there can likely be other damages and that you don't have x-ray eyes.

I got in a Honda V-twin that was locked up from lack of oil. Although I got it freed up I know it will fail majorly if the repairs are not done now. But the customer wants to argue with me that the $850 in repairs is too much since the engine is now running. I know form experience that aluminum has already started transferring to the crankshaft journal and will only get worst until the rods break from over heating destroying the block.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby RoyM » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:04 am

When it grenades he will be back on your doorstep screaming at you. Note on the service order the customer has declined repairs and unit is being returned as is with no warranty expressed or implied. CYA!
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:33 pm

I really have the best customers. Communication has come up , gotta tell them that... Really it starts with a good repair order with the triple C's and updates in writing when it is finalized. Notes about concerns to watch, why a repair was authorized for what it was so that should something abnormal come up, you're covered in writing. Notes about what to expect next time in . Write it down.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum