• Advertisement

Exmark Belt Length

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Exmark Belt Length

Postby Skywatcher » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:22 am

Greetings All

Customer has an Exmark front steer riding mower which threw a small rock up into the transmission drive belt pulley on the engine and destroyed the belt. Looked up replacement belt on Parts Tree and came up with part # 1306975. Called local dealer who said this part number had been superseded to # 116-1953 which cross references to Stens 265-555 ½" x 73" raw edge V-belt. Did not have exact match in stock, so took a Stens 248-073 (½" x 73" Kevlar Wrapped V-belt) out to customer's location and tried to install belt. Way too long. Found remains of old belt jammed between LH trans and frame. Measured remains of old belt, 63" long and broken ends matched up.

Came back to shop and took a Stens 248-063 (½" x 63") back to machine. Tried to install, too short. On the last trip, took a 248-064 (½" x 64") which was a snug fit, but works none the less. I feel that a ½" x 64½" belt would be a better fit, but do not have anything of that size. Does anyone have any information as to the actual correct size and style of the proper transmission drive belt for this unit. Thanks and all the best,

Sky

Make: Exmark
Model: QSS708GEM50200
Type: Front Steer Rider
S/N 315624990
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Advertisement

Re: Exmark Belt Length

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:35 am

Well the only way to get the actual correct size is to order the correct OEM belt. You just cant go by the info provide by vendors any more. Even with Stens saying their belt are with +- 1/4" of the stated size, they are not always that way. I have several belts lately by Stens that the actual size and the stated size were different. The last one was supposedly 106 but actually was 107" no wonder it slipped worst than the used belt on the mower. Another after market belt supplier is consistly 1" short of the stated size when it comes to the 1/2" (A) width belts.

THe only to know what you putting on is to actually measure it.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:52 pm

In my list Deere M110312 / GY20572 shows that I measured it at 4L 64.25 , so if you have one... Stens replacement shows it as longer though. At one time I broke out the measurer to record the exact sizes, whatever that means anymore!
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:09 am

I have a mtd z turn and the first deck belt was too short. No way i could stretch the idler spring to get it on. I did get the correct belt but I had considered using a short s hook at the spring mounting point to make shorter belt fit better. Not sure if that applies in your case.
38racing
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum