• Advertisement

793880 after market camshaft kits.

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

793880 after market camshaft kits.

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:19 am

Well I bit into the after market 793880 kits off Amazon. Here is what I found so far.

Oil seal are OEM seals
Crankcase and rocker gaskets are good.

The problems arise with the camshaft themselves. The first two had oversize journal on the oil pump end and were .060" shorter than the OEM. The next one of three which install Saturday was journal wise but still .060 shorter than OEM. Another problem is with the oil pump shaft include in kits for it is .001 oversized and will not fit. I haven't check or tried the tappets but I suspect they will be a problem too. I also notice on the last camshaft the intake clearance at 1/4 pass TDC wasn't the same as when the exhaust valve is fully open. Well .001-.002 may not much but it was noticeable during adjustment.

So in retrospect it not worth the problems and I should go back to the OEM version which what I will after use up the three AM camshafts here.

Something else I have notice on the last three engines is the screw (bolt) in position 9 tends to strip out at the 220 in/lb (18.3 ft/lbs) torque level. But once Heli coiled they will go all the way to 21 ft/lbs although this way over spec'd torque in the first place but I was having a leakage in the area too on one engine. Finally went with RTV on both side of the pan gasket which resolve the leakage. The Heli coil was the 1.5 version or .469" of the 5/16-18 but I will change over to 16mm ones for the next time as the hole are deep enough for the longer coils.

Also we should be stocking at least one governor/oil slinger as I have seen two to taken out by the failed ACR parts this alone. Personally I got three on back order right now.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: 793880 after market camshaft kits.

Postby hanz63 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:29 am

Interesting all the way around. You're a braver man than I am! It would've been nice if Briggs would have actually improved the cam with the new part number. Have you ever tried Gasgacinch on problem sump gaskets? It is bear to get off so I'd only use it on the sump side - unless it was the last resort to hold the paper in place. I've not even put a cam in this year, no 1 cam early this year. I'm seeing less of these as time moves on. They are just little self destruct mechanisms anymore. Anyone replacing a rider with one of these that normally would just replace it with a like rider, I tell them to upgrade to twins. Heck, I've only had 1 twin sump now that I think about it. Good thing as I don't live for motor work...
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:42 am

Well I had to try it as it was getting expensive quick here. As I just my 6th camshaft and I got another one in the shop awaiting the tear down. I hoping the governor isn't damage like the last 3 ACR failures. Plus I got a couple Briggs camshaft AWOL here. I haven't found them yet but they are here somewhere, hoping I just misplaced them.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:28 pm

You jinxed me and I had a cam to do today. What a bugger for clean up! 2017 model -like they dressed both sides of the gasket. And tons of thread lock to clean out too. Yuck.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:49 am

hanz63 wrote:You jinxed me and I had a cam to do today. What a bugger for clean up! 2017 model -like they dressed both sides of the gasket. And tons of thread lock to clean out too. Yuck.

So that where Murphy went. Just glad he is gone from here. He was around for 6 weeks here as that how weeks of Monday mornings I had.

I got in the 5/8 long 5/16" Heli Coils and they look like they will work just awaiting the tear down the next engine sitting on the lot already.

The thread lock is Briggs doing. Sealant on both sides of the gasket is the previous tech doing and yes it is a mess to clean up. I did it on next to last gasket replacement but had to as the gasket keep developing leaks.

Briggs says to use a thread restorer to clean up the threads instead of a regular tap.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:32 pm

This one was all Briggs doing. Never saw sealant, but the gasket was tough and stuck. Nothing brittle about it either. Whatever they did, grrr. Yeah, I chase them with the thread restorer and clean the nuts too, treat them and re lock them with Vibratite. I'll send Murphy back....
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:27 am

Please don't just send somewhere else I hate to have shoot myself. It been one of those aggravating years so far. Not only is the customers being a problem the vendors are too. And don't get me started on the USPS. What a lousy service they have become.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:13 am

USPS combined with canadapost took from March 31 to june 10 to deliver a parcel from Cincinnati to Ottawa.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby Gerry » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:17 am

38racing wrote:USPS combined with canadapost took from March 31 to june 10 to deliver a parcel from Cincinnati to Ottawa.

Back in Feb, I ordered a part on E-bay that went from Kentucky to Puerto Rico, Miami and then back to Georgia. Got it it late April. And the USPS wonders why they are loosing $$$$$.
Gerry
Guide

Postby 38racing » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:41 pm

I just ordered a hard to get warner clutch for a friend for a cub cadet. Local dealer quoted him 525 cdn inc tax but not in stock. Mtd directly want 600 but not in stock (althoughas of today shows in stock). I found a place called farmpartsstore.ca. showed addresses in san Francisco and Vancouver canada. Online showed the clutch instock. Came up in cdn $ with cdn taxes and free shipping and totalled 363. So I ordered. No shipping notice so I emailed on Friday. Response was that it was processed and would ship this week. Today I get a voicemail that the order was cancelled and I got my paypal refund. So I went to an eBay option. Now out of stock with that seller. Found only one on eBay in Indiana. Coming by their global shipping for 418 cdn. Fingers crossed. I was looking at truck parts. Bloody sites show in stock but when you email it's oh sorry we don't have that.
38racing
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum