• Advertisement

Another Troy Bilt tiller

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Another Troy Bilt tiller

Postby Gerry » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:06 am

Got an old TB tiller horse in the engine is a Briggs 192432 Type 0193-01 Code 970217YD. The only other number I can find is on the frame it is Serial: O 0948598. I dont think the is the correct cowling as when I look at the IPL its shows the carb as the Briggs LMT. The carb on this one is the old 2 piece flow jet like on the old model 195432's. I would like to find the correct model number so I can try to find OEM cables and etc. The owner really want to keep it OEM if possible.

Thanks

Gerry
Gerry
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Another Troy Bilt tiller

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:43 pm

First your Horse serial doesn't start with a "O" instead it is a Zero. Since ARI parts system is currently down I have a question that you might be able to answer. On this particular is the engine PTO shaft 3/4" or 1"? I hoping it 1" . I just spent three hours this morning getting the two king pins out because the customer is wanting me to put on a HF engine that he brought in with the tiller. It took a while to those ears hot enough to where I could drive the pins out. In the process I destroy a new pin punch.

As in your case the engine shroud here is definitely wrong as it is off a vertical engine at your is off a horizontal engine.

https://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/manufacturer/troy-bilt/legacy/tillers/horse/horse-opc-7-8hp-s-n-00940750-up
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby RoyM » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:10 pm

Somebody has definitely changed the blower housing, your engine is a much older version.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:10 pm

KE4AVB wrote:First your Horse serial doesn't start with a "O" instead it is a Zero. Since ARI parts system is currently down I have a question that you might be able to answer. On this particular is the engine PTO shaft 3/4" or 1"? I hoping it 1" . I just spent three hours this morning getting the two king pins out because the customer is wanting me to put on a HF engine that he brought in with the tiller. It took a while to those ears hot enough to where I could drive the pins out. In the process I destroy a new pin punch.

1) Troy Bilt horse should all be 3/4 shaft I believe. (otherwise they would need 2 different drive pulley part numbers each time they changed the pulley design) 2) the king pins you refer to , did you know they are 3/8-16 threaded on the tops (often filled with crud or plugged with plastic plugs) you can run a short bolt into there and giving it some torque, can often break loose rusted-in kingpins enough to make it easier to drive them through (and use the bolt heads to pound on so you don't mushroom the pins)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:59 pm

That why I asked as I do have PNs for two different pulleys. One is NLA which I have and the other is over $100. Just want verify the size used on Gerry's unit as it has the other PN list in the IPL before I order the king pins.

As for the king pins I was unable break them loose using the bolt method; hence, the heat, a 5/16 pin driver and a three pound sedge. Even with the heat and the hammer they very hard to get out. They had been in there over 40 yrs. They are heavily pitted too. I pretty well destroyed my pin driver.

Why in the Heck don't they use a little anti seize at MTD. I having to design and make a puller for PTO clutches because they won't use the anti seize compound. Unable to find a puller that will work that has a 8-1/2 spread. Everything I tried just slips off due to the radius on the coil's side. I already got the tools for holding the double D spacer (two tools that fit four different double D's) so I can torque the clutches with these and don't have to be a octopus when I do them or find someone to help.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Gerry » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:51 am

Thanks all, KE4AVB its looks to be 1" but havent measured it, this thing is a savage, I rebuilt the carb it starts on the first pull.

Found this link, dunno if its any help but posting it:

https://www.sensenigsrepair.com/troy-bilt-parts-manuals
Gerry
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:46 pm

Found crankshaft spec for the Kohler M8-301608 that is listed for the tiller SN here and it is a 3/4 PTO so I am dead in the water on the engine swap out; unless, Partstree comes through with another PN.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:17 am

Gerry wrote:Thanks all, KE4AVB its looks to be 1" but havent measured it, this thing is a savage, I rebuilt the carb it starts on the first pull.

Found this link, dunno if its any help but posting it:

https://www.sensenigsrepair.com/troy-bilt-parts-manuals

Very good Troy built Horse tiller info link.
This info or link needs to be over in your downloads and manuals links if not already, ;)

Thanks for the link
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:50 am

KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum