• Advertisement

Deck brakes

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Deck brakes

Postby Gerry » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:02 pm

Has anyone priced a left hand MTD deck brake lately, I just looked this one up 753-09904 supplier said list is $66.00 and up to $80.00 on ebay. I am wondering if it would be worth while cut a pad and epoxy it to the brake. Can get material at this link.

https://www.mcmaster.com/brake-lining/
Gerry
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Deck brakes

Postby RoyM » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:14 pm

What is the minimum order? The MTD part while certainly overpriced might be cheaper unless you are doing a lot of them.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby Gerry » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:31 pm

No minimum order but 1 supplier is out and dont have a date when they will be in. I would need maybe 12-15 a month in the beginning of the season.
Gerry
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:22 pm

Both Gardner and RBI has the list at $66.14. Best price of the two is RBI @ $56. Jacks has list on their site for $26.66 this maybe just not an updated price either.

Any like you I might just buy a section of the appropriate thickness brake material and make my own pads as the last I brought one these it was $13.63 but that was 5 yrs ago too.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:18 pm

Weird. Showing 37$ cdn on mtdparts.ca but as backorder. Maybe new price when stock comes in. 38 cdn right now about 30 usd.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:41 pm

I made ones similar to those for my own eq use. I would not make them for someone else.

I took some automobile front disc brake pads that still had lots of the pad still on the metal backing and used a metal cutter and cut off the size I needed from the auto brake pads and then drilled a hole through the pad and metal backing, then drilled the pad side larger in diameter so as a pan head brass screw of about 8/32 size would be countersunk in the pad and bradded the back side screw threads to hold the nut in place. I was not restricted in the amount of retraction and en-gauge space for the thickness of the pad and it's backing.
These pads were old ones from my junk pile salvage, but you can buy a front set new front disc auto brank pads for around $10-15 if you go back to vec's in the 80's or maybe 90's.
If you know a mechanic or brake place you can probably find good discarded ones. their is no core charge for such so they junk throw them in the scrap pile.
Be aware that you need to wear a good respirator and gloves when cutting the metal and pads due to the dust involved.

I made several at once, just as easy to make half dozen as to make one.
I could have used pop rivets but already had several of the pan head brass screws.

I did this couple years ago when I seen those inflated prices and prices of mower OEM replacement pads has gone up more lately. :oops: :cry:
Arkie
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum