• Advertisement

Tecumseh Idle Screw

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Tecumseh Idle Screw

Postby lefty » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:59 am

I have one of these Tecumseh carbs that has the long pointy low-speed needle that interfaces with the long pin inside that slides up and down. The one where you have to be sure to insert the screw with the carb upright as not to jam that pin up.

I have one where that internal pin is gummed up. I freed it up a bit but not completely. Any tips on how to get that to rattle again?

Thanks.
lefty
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Tecumseh Idle Screw

Postby RoyM » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:33 pm

Do you have an ultrasonic cleaner? I never had much luck with chemical carb cleaner in this situation. If the pin is damaged because somebody wound the screw in with the carb inverted it is scrap.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:55 pm

I do. I ran it through twice for about 10 minutes. Maybe I'll change my solution and let it go for about 1/2 hour or so. I'm using dish soap and a little bit of simple green and water.

I don't think anyone has been into it but I can't be certain. The machine sat for several years and the carb was in pretty rough shape. But the critical parts appeared in good condition. Needle, seat, jets, etc. The float had a leak but I had a good used one in my parts bin. It's an old craftsman 20 inch with tracks instead of wheels. If you ask me, it belongs in a dumpster but I'm doing this one as a favor for a friend's mother.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:20 pm

Curious about that carb style. Do you have the manufacturing number for it?
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:18 pm

I'll get you the numbers tomorrow. Running it through the ultrasonic for 1/2 hour and pounding it with carb spray broke it loose. It actually runs pretty well now.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:19 am

Some really dirty carburetors take up to 3X 30 minute cycles here in my USC that has 4 transductors. Changing the solution when dirty helps. I run at least one 30 minute cycle on every carburetor I clean but I am busy and I am doing otherthings while the USC is doing its thing.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby mr-moe » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:16 am

Not all Tec carbs have that restrictor in the idle passage.
Without going to my books I think it's only the 4, 5, and possibly the 6 Hp ones
Moe Fretz
Retired Small Engine mechanic, Ag tech, Auto tech.
mr-moe
Forum Regular

Return to Technical Discussion Forum