• Advertisement

Repair manual question

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Repair manual question

Postby wristpin » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:36 am

It appears that the most recent hard copy L head manual is 270962-12/03 for engines after 1981. Is there a more recent version on line accessible to a retired tech?
Why do I ask? Just been asked to sort out a 126T05 0239 08111257 that would not start on the key and reluctantly on the rope. Valves coked up, not seating etc etc.
Valves refaced, seats lightly skimmed, lapped and gapped - starting on the button.
Went to refresh the ancient grey matter for the correct head tightening sequence and found that the compression section of the manual does not show the head layout of the 126T05 - so improvised!! Does that bolt layout exist anywhere?
Also I was surprise at the poor quality / finish of the cylinder head, both in the combustion chamber and on the gasket face. If I can work out how to attach an image it will show the gasket face AFTER nearly half an hour with 80grit wet and dry abrasive on the surface plate. Is this the sort of poor finish to be expected these days?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/anshcenr7j3l2 ... .jpeg?dl=0
wristpin
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Repair manual question

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:43 am

The SM I have online here. The torque sequence is PDF page 173 figure 4 item B. In the text the followings is noted

A: Model 100700, B: Aluminum cylinder engines 15 cu.
in. and less except 100700.
C: Aluminum cylinder
engines 17 – 28 cu. in. D: Cast iron Models 230000,
240000, 300000, 320000.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby wristpin » Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:02 pm

Thanks for the reply but should i be able to open and view something - nothing seems to open or link.
wristpin
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:42 pm

Ah you want an image instead of downloading the manual for the downloads here.

The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby wristpin » Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:51 am

Thanks, but that’s the illustration that’s in both the pre and post 1981 L head manuals and none of the head layouts shown correspond with the 126T that I had in front of me. I did my own version and it’s now gone back to its happy owner.
wristpin
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:25 am

It wouldn't be a perfect pattern match but the "B" bolt pattern is the one you use. Things changed a little since the manual was wrote. And it doesn't help that Briggs doesn't update the manuals even they says info will be include revision of a manual That why here I make my own notes in the manuals from time to time when I think of doing it when working on a project. Nowadays I don't even see many of these smaller engines as the repair costs and replacement cost is too close and the owner most times just replacement the whole equipment.

The main thing is to use a three step torquing setup (1/3, 2/3, 3/3) for even torque application.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum