• Advertisement

Ferris 1000Z

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Ferris 1000Z

Postby lefty » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:48 am

I managed to replicate the problem. Gap on one coil is .014 and the other is .006. I'm looking through the service manual for specs now.

So It ran fine for about 30 minutes. I cut my lawn with it. Shut it off and then tried to restart. It cranked a bit and started again. Sounded a little like a weak battery. I shut it off and tried again. Cranked it for about 4 seconds. Then tried to crank it again and it just clicked. I spun the flywheel by hand a bit and it cranked again but didn't start. It then just clicked again and I repeated with the flywheel. Got it to crank again but no start.

The voltage at the battery is 12.65. I did not check voltage at the starter during this period. I don't know what the spec is for the coils yet but I'm sure it's the same for both? So I know I have to reset them. Going to check the valves and do a leak down while I'm in there. I was going to check the starter too but the owner hasn't reported any cranking issues. Just starting issues. I'm leaning toward valves right now but we'll see I guess.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:19 pm

Actually, as I'm sitting here thinking about it, if the clearance on one of the coils is too tight, could that cause the hot starting issue? Also, could the flywheel actually be getting stuck on the coil armature mimicking a valve clearance issue during hot start?
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:02 pm

According to what I've seen in the manual, both exhaust and intake should be .004-.006.

All of these valves are out of spec. Both exhausts are over .020. Intakes are up around .010-.017.

Could this cause a hot start issue? I would think tight clearances would but trying to wrap my brain around how sloppy valves would. I would think sloppy valves would cause a cold start issue.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:51 pm

sloppy valves mean valves opening less amount and for a shorter duration, they'd be slightly out of optimal time, and there'd be less gas/air mixture being drawn in, and less cross-movement of air (exhaust exiting helps to pull in fresh fuel charge) so yeah it would cause a starting issue at any temperature (and probably a measurable performance decline as well, but not necessarily "seat of the pants" noticeable)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby lefty » Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:36 pm

So although a problem, not necessarily the cause of my hot start issue?

I have a little bit more info, I think. Voltage at the starter is between 9 and 10 volts during a cold start. Also, I'm not super pleased with the leak down results on the left cylinder (left when you're looking at it from the rear of the machine). Right side was 100lbs in and 90 holding. The other side topped out a little over 90 in with 80ish holding. It would not build up to 100 like the right side.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:07 pm

For starters, I've gapped the coils correctly and adjusted the valves to spec. Also, installed new spark plugs as the ones in there were not new. Once it stops raining, I'm going to see if the problem is still there. At least I'll have a baseline at that point knowing that all that is in check. I'll report back at that point.

Thanks.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:43 pm

That seemed to work. Starting cold and hot now. Thank you.
lefty
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum