• Advertisement

JD STX Throttle Problems

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

JD STX Throttle Problems

Postby bob » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:39 am

John Deere STX38 with Yellow Deck and Kohler CV12.5. Having throttle issues. Hope I can explain this well enough Throttle is all over the place. IT starts but has a high rev and and seems to be no distance between high throttle and a low idle and then it will probably die there. Basically it will not idle up and down evenly or smoothly. I have cleaned the carb, replaced linkage for throttle/governor as someone else just had it wired up. I adjusted the governor as it did seem like that would be the issue but no difference. Need some help
bob
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: JD STX Throttle Problems

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:46 pm

It very possible you have a failed governor or it just so far out adjustment it lost it regulating pin.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bob » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:14 pm

This what I was wondering if there are problems inside but hoping not. I am not sure what you mean when you say it so far out adjustment it lost it regulating pin.
bob
Forum Regular

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:41 pm

What I was referring to is Item 16. On the Kohler it is not captive like the Briggs.

The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Skywatcher » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:08 am

Hi Bob

The throttle response can be quite touchy on these Kohler engines, full throttle and choke settings have to be exact as does throttle shaft to governor shaft synchronization. I pulled wrench for a JD dealer for 15 years and the update school on these machines was very particular about these settings. If you need more information, I may be able to add some pictures tomorrow (Sunday). All the best,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby bob » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:15 am

Hi Skywatcher: If you can add some pictures or any more information I will take it all. Thanks
bob
Forum Regular

Postby bob » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:21 am

Just to let you know Kevin you were right on. Tore Kohler down and regulating pin was just sitting in bottom. Thanks
bob
Forum Regular

Return to Technical Discussion Forum