• Advertisement

MV18 is old enough to smoke?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

MV18 is old enough to smoke?

Postby hanz63 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:35 pm

I've not seen this yet, but is coming. Started blowing smoke. Told me he thought there is head gasket problem. Talked myself out of that when I saw the model. Did these have any breather issues? I can go years w/o seeing one. So sans diluted oil or diesel in the tank, thoughts besides bad ones?
hanz63
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: MV18 is old enough to smoke?

Postby bluemower » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:32 pm

These were very durable engines. After 25 years of service, oil dilution is likely. As I recall, the breather is a sturdy design. The reed valve has a gently assist from a rubber bumper to help hold this closed. Nevertheless, diluted oil will easily pass through the breather. Look for oil in the air filter area. The mechanical fuel pump diaphragm and the carburetor needle can both cause the oil dilution.
bluemower
Guide

Postby bgsengine » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:12 pm

I agree on the fuel pump. check your oil and check for any smell of gas in the oil, if it seems thin/gassy, then first thing I'd check is the carburetor throat for raw fuel seeping out, if none, pop the fuel pump off and block off the outlet and inlet, work the lever by hand while checking if you get any fuel coming out the lever area, (ASSUMING, THAT IS, that you freshly pulled the pump without draining the fuel that was already inside of it) if you do, you got a ruptured diaphragm. Either case, can load up crankcase with fuel and cause excessive oil burning (while seemingly not a lot of oil loss, until engine has sat a while "out of gas" and fuel in the oil has evaporated)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby hanz63 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:40 pm

Thanks for your experienced views in this.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum