• Advertisement

Jacobsen 9" Edge-R-Trim

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Jacobsen 9" Edge-R-Trim

Postby OverKnight » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:55 pm

Hello - I have an old two-cycle Jacobsen 9” Edge-R-Trim with the 321 engine. It is in great shape and receives regular use. I began to notice fuel leaking from the float bowl and found the threads in the Walbro LMB carburetor body where the bolt that holds the float bowl on were very corroded and essentially stripped out. I tried drilling it out and installing a heli-coil, but this didn’t work. I don’t believe the LMB carburetors are made any longer (at least I can't find any), but is there an equivalent carburetor I could purchase? On the right side, above the LMB, is the number 172. On the left side, there is the number 273.
Thank you.
"I shall pass through this world but once. Any good I can do, or any kindness that I can show any human being, let me do it now and not defer it, for I shall not pass this way again."
- Stephen Grellet
OverKnight
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: Jacobsen 9" Edge-R-Trim

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:33 am

Biggest part of the LMB line is NLA. Most were done back in the late '90s. About the only option is to find another LMB core and transfer your good parts. THere are few new LMB out there but are newer models so linkage and other items are different.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby OverKnight » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:27 am

Thank you, KE4AVB. I did find another unlabeled carburetor that looked identical to the Walbro LMB (a Chinesium clone?) but I can't get it to run with this. If anyone out there has a decent LMB core that would work, I'll pay a fair price for it. It's a really good edger, and it would be a shame to scrap it for the lack of a carburetor.
"I shall pass through this world but once. Any good I can do, or any kindness that I can show any human being, let me do it now and not defer it, for I shall not pass this way again."
- Stephen Grellet
OverKnight
Forum Regular

Postby SUKI » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:49 am

Yes part availability is killing off a lot good equipment. I just killed off the MTD made Craftsman 4 cycle string trimmer because all it needed was a starter clutch assembly. MTD will sell it as part of a short block which makes the repair cost beyond reasonable cost. Parts were $120 before labor to repair a $200 trimmer.
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Technical Discussion Forum