• Advertisement

retorquing head bolts

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

retorquing head bolts

Postby creia » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:23 pm

This happened one time before a few years ago and I did not think much about, as I thought it was an oddball "one off" occurence. However, it happened again on an engine I finished restoring last week....

1967 Briggs 5 HP 130202, horizontal shaft, "flathead"
I torqued the head bolts as I always do to the correct specification
New head gasket
New head bolts
Torque wrench is accurate and reliable

After running the engine maybe 15 minutes I noticed I had oil leaking at the PTO side of the cylinder head gasket. :(
After letting the engine cool down I rechecked the torque values and immediately noticed that all the bolts had slightly loosened! :o
I would estimate that they had all loosened about 20 in/lbs
I tightened/retorqued them to the proper value and there has been no oil leakage and the head bolts have not loosened since.
Have any of you had this happen before? Is it typically required to retorque head bolts after running an engine for the first time? (I never do)
Thank you,
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: retorquing head bolts

Postby bgsengine » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:15 pm

I have seen it from time to time- even with short blocks.. but less frequently after I do these things:

1) chase all block threads (a worn tap works nicely, as it doesn't do any cutting, but breaks away carbon and corrosion - preferably a bottoming tap, or grind the taper off a regular tap) until a bolt will fully thread in and bottom out (and make sure the remaining length of bolt is considerably less than the head's thickness)

2) clean all bolt threads (or, I clean them and run them in by hand where they're supposed to go, making sure each bolt will fully thread into the hole it ends up in)

3) make sure head flange where bolt heads seat on are clean and level and have no burrs or raised edges (you can lap them with a flanged head bolt and valve lapping compound if needed)

4) make sure the socket you use has a nice snug fit to the bolt head (if the end of socket is splayed a little like impact sockets , or sockets used for impact duty, can get, they can slip over the aluminum "posts" of the head between fins and give false torque reading)

5) drop bolts in a pan of oil and then remove them and lay em on a clean rag and wrap em up and set aside, so they'll be perfectly oiled when you go to use em (typically I'll have head, block and bolts prepped before even beginning a rebuild or lapping/adxjustment/assembly portion of a valve job, so, they have plenty of time for bolts to "drip dry" into rag and leave a perfect film of oil on everything)

6) wipe bolt heads (not threads) as dry as possible before putting them in (unless specs call for oil on bolt heads, - dry heads vs. oiled heads will affect final torque by as much as 15% - 20%) then assemble and hand tighten (socket in your fingers, no wrench applied - that lets you discover any binding of threads) before snugging them down evenly (quarter to half turn at most usually) and then torque in sequence to specs, eliminates most cases Ive had of "loosening" bolts..

However, due to thermal expansion and gasket quality and consistency of the gasket itself, it is possible for bolts to get loose, after gasket has compressed, parts of it may not recover back the same amount as other parts of gaskets.. So, when I was doing Kohler K series rebuilding/blueprinting (I was doing 3 or 4 of them a day almost every day in our busy season, which is where I got my rep as an engine builder) I'd always go back and re-torque head bolts after initial run-in and cool-down before calling the job complete and turning in my work order. (often, this would be next day, as I would do 3 or 4 builds one day, start and run them in before clocking out, and let them cool overnight, but when it was a rush job, I'd at least wait til it was cool enough that I could hold my palm flat on the head & bolts for several seconds without discomfort - sometimes aided by shop air blowgun blowing through the inlet screen over flywheel)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby hanz63 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:37 pm

Great write up BG!
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:13 pm

hanz63 wrote:Great write up BG!

Agreed, however, no surprise whatsoever considering who the author is. 8-)
Thanks again Brian. I ALWAYS appreciate your educational, detailed, and well-articulated posts! :D Some of the items you mentioned I already do, but there were a couple I do not (I will now)
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum