• Advertisement

Briggs Carb Problem / Question

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Briggs Carb Problem / Question

Postby lefty » Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:19 pm

Briggs 445677-2188-G5
Code: 110907YG

Carb: 796227

There are 2 little brass jets in this. Two different size offices. They both have little orings. Are the orings supposed to provide a friction fit? I'm guessing yes. They look like they would fall out once the carb is tipped back up. The ones I have here pop in and out freely. I think it's causing a problem.
lefty
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Briggs Carb Problem / Question

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:39 pm

lefty wrote:Briggs 445677-2188-G5
Code: 110907YG

Carb: 796227

There are 2 little brass jets in this. Two different size offices. They both have little orings. Are the orings supposed to provide a friction fit? I'm guessing yes. They look like they would fall out once the carb is tipped back up. The ones I have here pop in and out freely. I think it's causing a problem.

Yes they are two sizes. Luckily I have used these jets her so I have their sizes on file. The left jet PN 792296 is a 1.18mm and the right PN 842627 is a 1.22mm. They will be marked as 118 and 122; takes a 10x loupe to see the numbers if they have not worn off.

And yes they are fiction fit. But you will not be able to get just the o-rings from Briggs. With them loose they will cause surging and other problems. It is either pay Briggs about $13.30 retail each for new jets or use Kawasaki PN 92055-7013 o-rings. Sold ea but I usually buy by the pack of 5 ea. I get mine through RBI for around $0.62 each but shipping can be a killer unless you are ordering other parts at the same time.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Skywatcher » Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:58 pm

Hi Lefty

Yes those little O-rings can be a bit of a bugger to find and deal with. B&S do not sell them as separate items, but John Deere does. Call up your nearest JD dealer and ask for part # M153076 and order as many as you need (they usually come in packages of 5), I order them 10 at a time. You might get a funny look from the parts person as he or she probably will have never heard of this part number and might ask you how and where you found it. Just tell them you have your sources.

When it comes to installing the new O-ring onto the jet, first off make sure the old O-ring has been removed and the groove is completely clean. Find a piece of stiff wire that will easily pass through the jet so as not to damage the orifice. Slide the new O-ring onto the wire followed by the jet with the O-ring groove facing the O-ring. Now hold the wire vertically onto a non-slip surface and let the jet drop onto the surface. Jet and O-ring are now both captive and can't fly off anywhere. Moisten the jet and the O-ring with engine oil and coax the O-ring into the groove.

Once the O-rings are on the jets, be sure to reinstall the jets back into the positions from whence they came. The O-rings are important as they prevent fuel from leaking around the jets and throwing off the furl/air mixture. The O-rings also hold the jets in position during reassembly of the carburetor. Once assembled, the jets are held in place by the emulsion tube assembly. Hope this points you in the right direction,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby lefty » Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:05 pm

Thanks very much. I just ordered a pack of 5 from the interwebs. My closest John Deere and Kawi dealers are way too far.

I'm chasing another issue on this machine. The machine was running fine yesterday but when I tried to start it today, it would just crank with an occasional ignition at the beginning of the crank. I disconnected the fuel line between the carb and pump and noticed a significant release of vacuum. I then turned the engine over to test the pump and the machine started immediately. This may be a separate issue but thought I'd ask. I'm chasing down a periotic yet regular crank-no-start condition.

There's what appears to be some type of vent line going from the airbox back toward the gas tank. The tank is buried pretty good in the frame. Does this machine use a vented cap or is this hose the vent line? Craftsman 917.288570, Serial: 091411A019030.

My guess is the loose jets wouldn't cause this but maybe they would. The condition existed prior to my cleaning of the carb.

Thanks.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:23 pm

My local dealer don't even stock but gladly order if I give an extra $20 for shipping.

The M153076 is the same as the Kawasaki 92055-7013. It is just that I don't let my local dealer hold me up on the Kawasaki parts. That why I look up the Kawasaki engines use on JDs through my Kawasaki IPL look-up source and order the Kawasaki parts through my distributor. Saves a considerable amount at times. A good example is the AM135296 cylinder head that JD wants $226.91 (greenfarmparts) but I got the 11008-7023 which is the same head for $173.74. Just think I already had to order two of these heads this year.

It pays to have alternate resources.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Skywatcher » Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:14 pm

Hi Again Lefty

This sounds more like a fuel supply problem, time for some basic diagnostics. Run the unit until it surges and quits, loosen the fuel cap, do you hear a vacuum release? If yes, tank is not venting. If no, problem is further down the line.
Does this fuel system contain a filter? If so, is it plugged? Disconnect the inlet fuel line to the filter and hold end of line below level of fuel in tank, does fuel flow from the line? If yes, tank and fuel line OK, if no you've found your blockage. Remove fuel cap and use regulated compressed air around 10 psi and blow back through the line into the tank from the tank, do you hear bubbling in tank? Yes, blockage has been cleared. No, tank and line will require removal and flushing.
Connect a temporary fuel supply to pump and start engine, Does pump dray fuel from temporary supply? If yes, you've found the problem between tank and filter. If no, fuel pump not working or line between pump and carburetor may be plugged, but you alluded to that line being clear when you heard the vacuum release. Please let us know what you find. All the best,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby lefty » Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:28 pm

I'm wondering if it has a vented cap. There's a hose that goes from the airbox to the top of the fuel tank. When I blow air through it, I can see it coming out the fill hole of the tank. Unless it's vented twice, once through this hose and again through the cap. I blew some air down the hose with the cap on and pressure built in the tank. Some leaked past the threads of the cap. If the cap is supposed to be vented, that may be the problem. I just went ahead and blew out that hose from the 90 degree elbow coming out of the metal shroud to the air box and down the other end to the tank. Maybe there was something clogging there. I'm going to let it sit overnight again. I keep letting it rest and it starts right up. Maybe if it sits overnight with the cap on tight it will build up again. Then I'll loosen the cap this time instead of disconnecting the line. See if that has the same beneficial effect.

I got some time to play around with it. Waiting on a deck belt as well as my o-rings I just ordered.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:45 pm

hose from air box to top of fuel tank is an emissions evaporative recovery vent- fuel vapors are released to the airbox once engine is running (and a vacuum opens check valve) and yet allows air back into the fuel tank as fuel level drops, so yes it is the tank vent going to airbox
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby lefty » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:13 pm

Would this be in addition to or in lieu of a vented fuel cap?
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:01 am

Depends - EPA Mandated Emissions compliant engines since 1/1/2012 or so will not have any vents to the outside, so fuel caps are not vented - or if they are, they have carbon cannister centers for vapor recovery, they'll also have non-permeable fuel hose (hoses will have EPA certification numbers stamped/printed on them) among other things... In either case, if fuel caps are not vented, the tanks will be vented via the emissions controls to the engine's air intake. It'd be relatively rare for an engine to have both types (though most of their engines are built with capability for either, at manufacturer's option, hence the need to have all engine numbers, including type and date code / serial) I'd find it odd though as your engine appears to have a late 2011 date code. (Although it could be a later model with an earlier model/serial tag lifted from another engine? Or, someone repaired the older engine with newer model parts.) In any case, if you have a 2012 or later emissions compliant engine sitting on a 2009 model year rider, it's pretty obvious that something ain't original.. you don't get a 2009 model year tractor to come originally equipped with even a 2011 model year engine.. (unless someone has a Juiced up DeLorean somewhere)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum