• Advertisement

Mtd hydro drive pulley orientation

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Mtd hydro drive pulley orientation

Postby 38racing » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:38 pm

I've just pulled one off a friend's unit but I'm the one who installed his engine (sold mower to him). The pulley hub sides are different thickness with the key being formed in the thicker one. Is the thick keyed hub up against engine base the correct orientation.
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Mtd hydro drive pulley orientation

Postby SUKI » Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:46 am

It been a while since I did a MTD electric PTO setup but if I remember correctly the thinner side goes toward the engine. But normally I pay attention when removing the clutch and pulley as most here are seized on anyway and I just unbolt the engine to replace the drive belt. Usually there is a slight radius on the inside edge of the side that goes toward the engine so it matches the crankshaft radius when compared to the other end.

As back up check the fit between the pulley and the PTO clutch bearing.

Sorry if not clear I just haven't woken up yet even through I am vertical. I got to get a pot down first as the first cup might just put me back to sleep. Yawning already...
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Mtd hydro drive pulley orientation

Postby 38racing » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:15 am

SUKI wrote:It been a while since I did a MTD electric PTO setup but if I remember correctly the thinner side goes toward the engine. But normally I pay attention when removing the clutch and pulley as most here are seized on anyway and I just unbolt the engine to replace the drive belt. Usually there is a slight radius on the inside edge of the side that goes toward the engine so it matches the crankshaft radius when compared to the other end.

As back up check the fit between the pulley and the PTO clutch bearing.

Sorry if not clear I just haven't woken up yet even through I am vertical. I got to get a pot down first as the first cup might just put me back to sleep. Yawning already...

Since posting I watched a belt changing video and he did the engine move lol. Looks like thick side down on his but it was positioned to show key section.
38racing
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum