• Advertisement

Toro Z420 Hydro Leak

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Toro Z420 Hydro Leak

Postby lefty » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:38 pm

Toro 74325
Serial 250002187

I have this toro z420 that's been around for many years. I recently noticed a little oil leaking from the left transaxle. Upon closer inspection, it looks like it's leaking from the seal behind the wheel-hub where the axle exits the housing. I was going to replace that seal but noticed a little play in the shaft. I think that the part behind it, which is a bearing sleeve, may be worn, and was wondering if I could take care of this without removing the whole unit. There is a retaining clip that holds everything in there. My concern is being able to get the bearing sleeve out once I remove the clip and seal. I'm wondering if the only way to do it is to remove the whole unit and take the case apart. Does anyone have any experience with this one? Parts link below. The diagram will be LH Hydrostat Assembly. The parts I'm talking about are 30-the retainer, 47-the seal, and 46-the bearing sleeve.
https://www.toro.com/en/parts/partdetails/?id=28879

There was a lot of grease-dirt build-up on the shaft and underside of the unit. My guess is it's running down and getting flung around. I've cleaned it off and am monitoring it to verify but I can clearly see it oozing from the seal area.
Thanks
lefty
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Toro Z420 Hydro Leak

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:35 pm

First according the IPL they are Hydrogear ZT-2200 transaxle so the so called is 20w50 motor oil. Toro service indicates you can pull the axle with their puller but with the axle being torqued to 260 ft-lbs it is probably cold welded to the axle. YOu would better off just pulling the transaxle and remove the axle. According to image of the Bushing it looks it takes a three point puller to remove it.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:08 pm

Am I correct to assume that play in the axle is due to wear in that part?

And are you saying that once I take the unit off and open it up that I'll be able to push it out rather than having to pull it from a blind hole...so to speak? I've never been in one of these but it might make a good winter project for me.

Thanks.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:43 pm

Lefty I didnt think about the slide hammer blind hole bearing puller that I have but it would work once the axle is out of the way. You may be able to drive it out. I just haven't needed to remove one yet here.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:59 pm

Thanks. I'm going to save it for the winter.
lefty
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum