• Advertisement

Briggs identification

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Briggs identification

Postby wristpin » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:24 am

A friend who lives a couple of hundred miles away has a UK Mountfield branded ride- on, aka Murray 9-3667x78 9019 and wants to convert to Magnetron ignition. I said give me the model type and code and I’ll tell you which coil armature to get. He’s replied , no model ID numbers etc on the blower housing, just 11hp synchro balance. I said, look again but he’s sent me images of the blower housing from every view and there’s none - and with the above decals etc it looks original. Hood side decals say Murray 11HP.
Please will a BS expert have an informed guess as to what he has - 25*****. Or what ?
If it’s any assistance the image of the mag that he’s sent shows it to be of the separate points and condenser pattern and the cover retained by three screws. It looks to have a dual circuit charging stator. I’m posting this from the iPad and it doesn’t seem to allow me to add his images but if they are of assistance I can add them from the PC.
As usual, all help will be greatly appreciated.
wristpin
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Briggs identification

Postby bgsengine » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:54 am

11 horse synchro-balance? well that's fairly easy - so yeah 251707 might do ya for a model.. back then, they used the same ignition coil on a pretty wide range of models (I believe from 8 P to 12 HP used the same coil) so just a simple 11 horse base model for an engine that old (with point ignition) should get you right to the coil you need. Old point ignition coils these days, for Briggs, will all supercede to the latest magnetron kit.

*edit* - Oh yeah, model number info can also be located on air ducting shrouds down side of engine (back of and/or behind electric starter) as well as the rear air shroud bolted to the head, and on some models they had aluminum tag that was riveted to the housing (but doubtful for a point ignition 250000 series) and there have been a number of other "oddball" locations that Briggs has placed model/type/date code numbers, that are non-typical, often at the OEM's request (OEM being the specific type number the engine was built for) - Either to aid in more easily locating those numbers, OR, to aid in making it much harder to get them (So the OEM could re-sell briggs parts under their own numbers & pricing)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby 38racing » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:34 am

Go for the none point coil for a 25 series. In the 28 series 12 hp I think the early ones were like 25s but then they added an advance and those coils have a gap at the back.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:55 pm

398811 I believe is the magnetron coil kit - but that number may have changed to newer numbers by now, as Briggs had been substituting newer designs (part numbers starting with 5's) for some coils and kits (298968 was the original coil for point ignition)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:11 pm

398811 Is the current PN according my last price file update.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby wristpin » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:47 pm

Thank you all.
AS
wristpin
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum