• Advertisement

Fuel Fitting on Imported Carb

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Fuel Fitting on Imported Carb

Postby dennis » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:27 pm

I bought a replacement carb for a snow thrower I am working on. It is a cheap import, cheaper than buying a carb kit and trying to clean an old, corroded carburetor. Anyway, It is a replacement for a Tecumseh 632107A carb. On the original carb, the fuel fitting points up. On the replacement it points down, and the fuel line will not fit without interfering with the gov linkage. I have successfully rotated the nylon fuel fittings on the old carbs with no problem. The fuel fitting on this cheap import is pot metal. Anybody have any success rotating these without causing a leak? If I sound hesitant, it is because I am.
dennis
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Fuel Fitting on Imported Carb

Postby RoyM » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:03 pm

Try removing the fitting by pulling straight out, no twisting, and reinstalling in the proper position. If it works great. If not oh well, you are not out much.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:43 am

dennis,
I have run into the same situation as you a number of times. I have put a wrench on them and carefully and slowly just turned them to the position I need. My success rate (no leaks) is about 50%. On the ones that leaked, I would go ahead and pull them out, apply some JB weld and reinsert in the proper/needed position. Report back with your results for whatever technique you use...
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby SUKI » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:49 am

Just which JB weld you are using that actually works? Every one I tried has fail to live to the Permatex version that I usually use.
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby creia » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:10 am

SUKI wrote:Just which JB weld you are using that actually works? Every one I tried has fail to live to the Permatex version that I usually use.

The "higher strength" version, original 2 part epoxy that takes 24 hours to cure. Which Permatex product are you using for this application?
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby SUKI » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:56 am

I usually use the 2 ton version but I have yet try it on a fuel system. Just don't want to risk a fuel leak. The plastic weld by JB didn't work after 24 hrs and Permatex held within 5 minutes. Now most fuel system plastic are either nylon or HDPE plastics and I know the HDPE plastics are not glue-able expect with very very expensive glue.
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Technical Discussion Forum