• Advertisement

Will start, kills engine when brake released...Jeesh!

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Will start, kills engine when brake released...Jeesh!

Postby dart451 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:34 pm

Working on a Craftsman Tractor 917.287457. The guy had taken off the mowing deck and uses the tractor just to haul things around. So, I get the engine running, had very bad gas, had to replace all the lines. Runs good now and I've driven this around a few times, without any problems. (I was waiting for the brake pucks cause the brakes were worn out). Now, all of a sudden when I start it and release the brake, the engine dies. Obviously the brake kill switch is shutting it off but why now? The mowing deck pull switch is not engaged and I know sometime when you don't have the key in the correct position, the motor will kill with the mowing deck engage, going in reverse. So, for some reason, now the engine won't run when I release the brake. Is there a definitive way to check what's causing this? Any help would be appreciated...
dart451
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Will start, kills engine when brake released...Jeesh!

Postby 38racing » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:04 pm

It thinks that you are off the seat. Verify that seat switch is connected and working correctly.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:04 pm

seat switch failed or disconnected
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby dart451 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:29 pm

That was the problem! duh! Thanks guys for the help!
dart451
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum