• Advertisement

Briggs Valve seat?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Briggs Valve seat?

Postby TracMac » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:37 pm

I have a Briggs 8Hp 195432-2247-01

It has the 30 degree intake valve. I need to refresh the Intake Seat. The seat could receive only a bottom cut, but making the top cut to the seat is not possible. The tool would contact against aluminum trench that the seat sits in. From the Briggs shop manual, it states to cut seat @ 30 degrees? but what happens if I need to make top cut to narrow the seat? I want to say that I remember using the cutter 124 (15-60) on Briggs 5hp 130202 series engines with
the 30 degree intakes with no problem.

Its been quite awhile since I done 1, with a 30 degree intake seat. I do have the main Neway cutter kit LG3010 purchased many, many, yrs ago. would
I need to purchase 30 cutter? if need be?
TracMac

Advertisement

Re: Briggs Valve seat?

Postby bgsengine » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:41 pm

I rarely bothered with cutting the seats unless they were being replaced or re-staked - I'd normally just reface the valve otherwise and lap them in, and then check (with machinist's blue or colored grease) that there was a seat showing all the way around.

Oh yeah. and the neway cutters I believe were actually a 31 degree, with a 15 degree top cut to narrow the seat, but if done right (and I wouldnt worry about cutting aluminum away , just cut the seat very lightly, may not need the top cut to narrow seat) - When replacing or re-staking seats, I did so with a refaced valve (specially shortened for extreme .060" valve clearance) installed with spring & retainer to position seat just about perfectly to the valve before staking them in..
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Return to Technical Discussion Forum