• Advertisement

STIHL 4-Mix seems to be starving for fuel

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

STIHL 4-Mix seems to be starving for fuel

Postby Merkava_4 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:02 pm

STIHL FS 91 R string trimmer.

It surges at high RPM and I can't seem to richen it enough with the high speed mixture needle to get the surge to go away. It's never done this before. Normally Too Rich will cause an RPM drop off like it's supposed to. I may try fishing the fuel filter out of the tank for examination unless you guys got a better idea. All I want is the trimmer to run at a steady RPM at full throttle.
Merkava_4
Guide

Advertisement

Re: STIHL 4-Mix seems to be starving for fuel

Postby bgsengine » Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:39 pm

Sounds like an air leak to me. That or you got a pinhole in a fuel line, perhaps. Try the basic testing? Fuel system pressure/vacuum? crankcase leakdown? stiff diaphragms?
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Skywatcher » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:29 pm

Hi Merkava

A fairly common issue with those Stihl hybrid engines is valves going out of adjustment affecting top end performance. I forget what the specs are for those units, hopefully someone else here has them for you. All the very best,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:21 am

The valve clearance for 4180 engine is .004 (0.10mm) both valves.

Just note you will need a small width feeler gauge so you might just get the kit from Stihl has the gauge and a rocker cover gasket set. Stihl PN 4180 007 1005.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:05 am

From service manual.

Engine does not deliver full power
or runs erratically

Secondary air seepage through faulty gaskets on spacer flange > Install new gaskets

Piston rings worn or broken. > Install new piston rings

Muffler / spark arresting screen carbonized. > Clean muffler (inlet and exhaust openings), replace spark arresting screen (if fitted)

Air filter element dirty. > Fit new air filter element

Fuel/impulse hose severely kinked or damaged. > Fit new hoses or position them free from kinks

Pump diaphragm torn. > Install new pump diaphragm

Decompression lever sticking. > Install new cam gear
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum