• Advertisement

Damn! Can't get engine to run right now...

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Damn! Can't get engine to run right now...

Postby dart451 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:07 pm

Working on a log splitter with a Tecumseh engine, OHH-55 69085C. The fuel hoses had fused inside with rubber tar. I installed all new lines, installed new carburetor and the engine ran beautifully the several times I tried it! The day the customer came to pick up the splitter, the engine would start but would not get up to rpm...I also noticed a fine mist of fuel was coming out of the throat of the carburetor. I tried another new carburetor, same results! So, I can tell the carbs are running really rich but for the life of me I do not understand why it was running beautifully one instant and then walla! It runs like crap! The only next step I can see to do is check the valve clearance...any suggestions from the gurus of PPETEN?
dart451
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Damn! Can't get engine to run right now...

Postby hanz63 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:37 pm

I've not known these to end up with sticky valves, but it does sound like it say for a spell. Try a quick run up with a fog of Seafoam and see what you've got.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby Skywatcher » Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:40 pm

Hi Dart

Sounds to me like you may have some loose flakes of carbon in the combustion chamber that are getting stuck between the valve and seat. There is one thing about these OHV engines, checking and adjusting the valves is a piece of cake as opposed to the old L-head engines. Hope you're able to get this one sorted out,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby dart451 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:57 pm

It's important to adjust the valves cold, right? I've run the engine for awhile trying to fog Seafoam through it...didn't help...Looks like this engine should have .004 for intake and exhaust..
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:24 pm

Ok, adjusted the valves...they weren't very far off at all. Of course, it did not improve running of the engine. I did notice something. Seeing as it's blowing a fine mist of fuel out the throat of the carburetor, I sprayed some starter fluid around the gaskets to the intake manifold while running. The motor flutters. So, tomorrow, I am going to check the intake gasket, (the one to the carburetor side is new and I never took off the intake to the engine but it appears we might have an air leak here...wish me luck!
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:56 am

I would do a leak down test checking the sealing of the valves.

If the ACR is on the intake there is a remote possibility that it has hung since still is an old engine.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:45 am

Ok, fixed the possible leak to the intake, no difference with it running. I also did a leak down test on it...it's holding compression beautifully! So, I'm about to try some C-4...see if that will fix the issue...
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:15 pm

I thought perhaps I might have found the problem...the little bolt to the governor was loose so...I set it, tightened the bolt, no difference. In fact, I can put the governor either all the way left or all the way right, tighten it, no difference in the way the motor runs...
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:20 pm

Any more words of wisdom out there? This is a stumper! Something had to have happened when I turned the motor off the last time.
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:28 pm

You say new fuel lines.is there any chance crap from the tank is still messing up the carbs and causing the flooding
38racing
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum