• Advertisement

Damn! Can't get engine to run right now...

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Damn! Can't get engine to run right now...

Postby dart451 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:28 pm

Hmm, I don't think so...I emptied the fuel tank and let it dry for a few days while I waited for a new carburetor. Ran the same with both carburetors. I could probably run a line from my gas can to the carburetor, see if anything changes.

However, if you think about it...it's not starving for fuel! It's getting too much fuel as indicated by the slight mist of fuel coming out of the carburetor...
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:15 pm

Ah, the old mouse stuck in the muffler trick... Check the flywheel key.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:42 pm

dart451 wrote:Hmm, I don't think so...I emptied the fuel tank and let it dry for a few days while I waited for a new carburetor. Ran the same with both carburetors. I could probably run a line from my gas can to the carburetor, see if anything changes.

However, if you think about it...it's not starving for fuel! It's getting too much fuel as indicated by the slight mist of fuel coming out of the carburetor...

I was thinking crap blocking needle from seating. Ive got that in a pushmower engine mounted in a tow behind rig.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby Skywatcher » Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:40 pm

Hi Again Dart

You mentioning that moving the throttle shaft either way doesn't make a difference. I've had three engines that behaved that way, each one for a different reason. The first was a virtical shaft Tecumseh on a JD 57 riding mower, the flywheel key had sheared and the crankshaft slipped in the flywheel retarding the timing to the point where the engine would not rev up.

The second was a B&S engine on a Coleman portable generator. The spark arrester in the muffler was completely plugged. If an engine can't breath out, it can't breath in and will spit back through the carburetor. Check for a loose baffle in the muffler restriction exhaust flow.

The third was a Kohler Command series engine on a Husqvarna lawn tractor. The intake lobe on the camshaft had worn down to the point where the intake valve was barely opening, so the engine was not getting a full charge of fuel/air mixture on the intake stroke.

Remove the muffler and try the engine again. If no change, remove the valve cover, rotate the engine by hand and see how far down the rockers are actually pushing the valves. If those both look good, remove the flywheel and check the condition of the flywheel key.

If the flywheel slips on the crankshaft as in the case of a lawnmower hitting a solid object, the engine will kick back when you're trying to start it. If the crankshaft slips within the flywheel due to flywheel nut not being properly torqued, the engine will be nice and easy to start, hut won't attain full RPM and the muffler will get unusually hot. Hope this gives you some ideas,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby wristpin » Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:42 am

Something had to have happened when I turned the motor off the last time.

Kicked back and upset something ?
wristpin
Forum Pro

Re: Damn! Can't get engine to run right now...FIXED

Postby dart451 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:51 pm

Ok, I finally took off the flywheel and WALLA! The keyway is sheared! It was approximately off 1/2"...how the damn thing ran like this I'll never know! I never could get a Briggs run if the keyway was even slightly dented. Anyway, Thank you everyone for your help! Reason I didn't check the keyway right away is...I didn't think the engine would run if it was sheared...I have learned...this is not the case! Thanks again guys!! :D :D :bricks:
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:29 pm

Hmmm. I wonder caused it to shear as Log splitter usually just drives a hydraulic pump.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:54 pm

Well, probably because I didn't torque the flywheel properly! I had to remove the flywheel to install the new fuel line which fits behind it. And my bad..I didn't torque it! The torque is supposed to be 52.5 ft. lbs...
dart451
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum