• Advertisement

Kohler Carb adjustment tool?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Kohler Carb adjustment tool?

Postby SUKI » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:32 am

Does anyone know of a PN for a tool that fit the D adjustment idle mixture on the Kohler carburetors; especially the one use on the SV601 engines? I got a surging at high idle and it is a mixture problem as slight choking corrects the problem. Carburetor already cleaned several times. I really hate to replace the carburetor that a simple adjustment would cure the problem. My normal tricks has only reduce the problem but not fully cured the problem.
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Advertisement

Re: Kohler Carb adjustment tool?

Postby SUKI » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:55 pm

Just my luck Kohler discontinue the 20 853 95-S carburetor Sept 21 with no replacement.

I did fnd out the D tool has a little smaller the large D tool for 2 cycles that I have here.
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby 38racing » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:42 pm

Can you stick something in the larger d tool to make it fit
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby SUKI » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:28 pm

38racing wrote:Can you stick something in the larger d tool to make it fit

Nah. The adjustment screw is recessed and the recess hole is small than the OD of my current tool. I think about getting myself a demel and modify an old junk socket to work. And before someone say just cut a slot in the screw head, it is too deep to do that without damaging the mounting flange. It is a shame that the EPA and manufactures wont allow a needed tool to be made available. An engine that is surging is just polluting more than one properly adjusted.

Btw this adjustment screw is a lot of the time hidden behind a welch plug. That how I found the first one as the welch plug had fell out in my USC.
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby SUKI » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:39 am

Nevermind...I made a tool to get it adjusted. Note this mixture screw does have an o-ring on it. Since I can now remove the screw the US cleaning in this area will be better now too.

I was always told that I could tear up a German tank with a rubber hammer. :lol:

As for the initial adjustment, count the number of turns when removing until the thread hop. That way you can at least reset close to where it was previously before any fine tuning that might be needed. Forget about replacing the welch unless you have a way of cutting a new one and have a doming tool set. Also don't remove the welch over the idle bleed chamber as it is also not in the repair kit. It is a shame how poor the carburetor repair kit is in general but Kohler simply wanted us to buy replacement carburetors instead.
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Technical Discussion Forum