• Advertisement

2 stroke carburetors

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

2 stroke carburetors

Postby lefty » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:49 pm

This is a general repair question. I've had terrible luck with rebuilding 2 stroke carbs. Trimmers, saws, blower, etc. I have kits here but I seem to always end up rebuilding it and then buying a new one. I'm wondering if maybe I'm missing something.

I replace all the gaskets, diaphragms, screens, etc. But ultimately, I end up getting a new carb. I've tried to clean them in the ultra sonic, carb spray, a combination, and everything in between.

Thanks for any tips.
lefty
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: 2 stroke carburetors

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:59 am

I don't know what the problem is. I do know I never use anything beside the fuel mix other than dish soap or Alconox 9.5 pH non residual soap and water in my USC unit. I usually have about 98% of carburetors survive the cleaning and rebuild process. I do know carburetor cleaners can damage the internal rubber check valves. Walbro supposedly has a safe carburetor cleaner version but I have never used it.

Hopefully you are replacing and resetting the meter needle and lever each time. Currently I have two Walbro and one Zama metering lever setting tools on hand. I do have more problems with the Stihl Zama carburetors for some reason. Either welch become missing or the primer are failing. Of when the primer fails it is a new carburetor as they cost nearly as much as a new carburetor from Stihl.

Now of course I have only been rebuilding these cubes since 2009.

I did have one rebuild to fail because I failed to replace the metering needle. The carburetor pas the pressure test but it still have a problem with the old needle that I could only see under 10x loupe. The rubber tip had a minor ringing on it. Replace the needle and problem went away.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Re: 2 stroke carburetors

Postby lefty » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:20 am

I did not set the lever height. Thank you. I'll try that.
lefty
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum