• Advertisement

Ryobi PowerWasher

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Ryobi PowerWasher

Postby lefty » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:27 pm

RY80940B
0A150720080117
Engine: GJAAA-7385168 N5B

I got this in and it looked like it was leaking oil from the valve cover. Someone took the cover off before and did a pretty bad job with the gasket maker. Or at least I though. Looks like the cover may have been warped a bit so I replaced it and resealed it. New cover was like $5 bucks so I figured why not. Well, it's still leaking and upon a closer look, it looks like it may be leaking from where the camshaft comes through the bottom. This engine has the cam gear up with the rockers and the camshaft protrudes out the bottom of the engine. Based on the part's list, it looks like there's an oring, that I'm guessing is leaking. I figured I'd replace the oring.

I looked this procedure up and it looks pretty simple. Is there anything I should look out for? I know there are some alignment marks on the cam so I'm thinking if I take it out and put it in with the marks in the same spot without moving the crank, I should be ok.

Thanks.
lefty
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Ryobi PowerWasher

Postby RoyM » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:13 pm

It is easy enough to check valve timing. With the inlet opening as the exhaust is closing the piston should be at top dead center.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:29 am

Engine a Honda GCV190LA-N5B.

Also the valve covers are a lot easier to get off if you just use a block of wood and large hammer then shear them loose first. Just trying to pry them off usually damages the cover.

You will need PN 91301-ZM0-V31 O-RING, 6.8X1.9 (ARAI) for the camshaft shaft pin. If I remember correct it is simply push out to replace the o-ring once the retainer is removed and I think the rocker cover is the retainer. Boy I should have paid more attention a few weeks ago when I disassemble a GCV190 to check the exhaust valve.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:43 am

Also, if you happen to have one in that has been rotated backwards (load kickback, freeing up something stuck, etc) and suddenly won't start, first thing to check will be valve timing, as they can jump time pretty easily when rotated backwards. I've had two of those (one on a pressure washer) both times, engine seemed "stuck" and the owner (or a 'mechanical' friend) took off the cover and rolled engine by hand via the flywheel (forcefully, too) and then when things freed up (pressure washer case, it had been sitting all winter outside, so probably stuck pump) the engine would not run... power washer: engine repower job would have cost more than a new pressure washer, so they scrapped it... the other engine (I think it was a lawnmower) customer decided to try and fix it himself, but I think he just wanted to tear it apart for the scrap value (he worked part time at a scrap yard)

Long story short, if you get one of those overhead camshaft GC engines in with a no-start and they seem to otherwise have compression, spark, fuel, (Or, they backfire or have no compression) be sure and pop the valve cover off and check valve timing too....
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby lefty » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:24 am

Thank you once again.
lefty
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum