• Advertisement

To kit or to carb. That is the question.

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: To kit or to carb. That is the question.

Postby 38racing » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:18 pm

So I got a carb from Amazon. Both say huayi 178sa but different as per picture.
https://web.ncf.ca/da229/smallengine/IM ... 120417.jpg
Gasket that came with it doesn't really match the carb .
That said I put it on using old gasket and it runs fine. Surges a tiny bit at first start but then runs fine. Need snow for final test but I'm not in a hurry for that.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:23 pm

You MAY have lucked out and "dodged a bullet" as they say. My experiences on these China-made aftermarket carbs has been hit and miss. I have purchased some of these for the old Tecumseh L-heads and would say that about 50% of the times the carbs leak and/or never run right. At only about $ 15.00 shipped it was still worth a shot and I will continue to do so...
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:13 pm

I just pulled a gummed huayi from a champion generator. Looks like the misfit gasket with the blower carb would fit the generator.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:11 pm

Figure I'd by needle and spring for old carb. This really helps.
https://web.ncf.ca/da229/smallengine/IM ... 183741.png
Turns image dropped fact that left item in stock but right item is back ordered. Same with needle. Seems to be a version a and none a version both still valid.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:47 am

Here is the supersedes per the price file I loaded on my system. I use the MTD prefix to prevent other OEM PNs getting cross when upload price files.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:37 am

Now working on neighbour's powermore 1u9 cc blower. He bought from a lady . Looks new but crankcase full of gas. Carb actually was clean. It's not leaking on the bench. Mtd site I use does not have engine ipl. Google found me carb is 951-15162. $114 cdn from mtd. Any chance ke4avb has a number for needle and spring?

38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:57 am

Chances are very slim even with the actual engine model number as MTD is hiding most of the part numbers. Now the carburetor part number you posted is for the 165-WU engine which is a 179 cc engine. Apparently Kohler has rubbed off onto MTD when it comes to the carburetors. It probably all about profit margins and to keep us from otherwise repairing the carburetors.

The part numbers I posted were for the 1X65BA carburetor. This number is actually on the carburetor. MTD uses Huayi carburetors primarily so I might be able to find it by the calibration code on the carburetor.

I just lucked out when I was working on a MTD engine last year to find an IPL that had the part numbers.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:48 pm

It is the smaller 179 cc . yesterday the fellow told me he had just sucked out excess oil/ gas. So today when I drained crankcase it was normal thick and no hint of gas so maybe po had just overfilled with oil. I also found carb was clean with no evidence that it would flood or not start. My first efforts at starting before doing anything was putt putts but no run. Now it's worse. Just the odd flame back to carb. Had that recently on another engine and new plug fixed it. So my next step is a new plug.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:56 pm

Also called to look at friend's blower today. Heard 2nd hand that she couldn't get it to crank fast with electric starter. I figured hydrolock but it wasn't that. I think she had a cord connection issue as her ground prong from blower was broke off and stuck in cord. Started fine with electric and pull for me. But of course it surges like heck until you close choke a few notches. I think I will try a dose of seafoam first.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:30 am

Back to the 179 cc powermore. Turned out to be the sparkplug. But as soon as it was running it smoked heavy for a couple minutes so it had definitely been overfilled at some point. So now here's the annoyance. During disassembly the choke knob at the top didn't pop off. It's on a long rod going down with plastic end that snaps into a plastic choke lever piece. So it came apart down there. I assumed that was the design because even with cover off I couldn't get choke knob to budge. So putting it back together I assumed with choke open and knob pointing to run that I could tap the shaft back down to lock it it. Lock tabs were tapered. Of course not. The lever piece broke. Then I went on Google and found out choke knob is a b***h to remove but it does come off. So I have it off now and I'm hoping super glue and tie straps will work for y MacGyver repair. Don't know if lever or rod assembly are even available as I've yet to find an engine ipl.
38racing
Forum Pro

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum