• Advertisement

Poulan 2150 Type 4 Chainsaw Fuel Lines

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Poulan 2150 Type 4 Chainsaw Fuel Lines

Postby OverKnight » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:16 pm

I have a Poulan 2150 type 4 chainsaw that needed new fuel lines. For those unfamiliar with this saw, there are no grommets for the fuel lines to run through; instead the fuel supply and vent lines run through holes in the hard plastic case which contains the fuel tank. These holes are small enough that once the fuel line is inserted into them, they seal against the hose and there should be no leakage. What is the best way to run these lines? I saw a YouTube video where someone used a thin piece of wire with a small hook on the end. They fed this through the hole, pushed the wire hook through the fuel line and then pulled it through. No joy with this method for me; the hose always ripped. I was finally able to get this done by heating the end of the tube with a torch and rolling it between my fingers, creating a section with a smaller diameter that I was able to get through the holes. In case I ever have to do this again, can anyone suggest a better method of feeding these lines through these small holes?

Thank you.
"I shall pass through this world but once. Any good I can do, or any kindness that I can show any human being, let me do it now and not defer it, for I shall not pass this way again."
- Stephen Grellet
OverKnight
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: Poulan 2150 Type 4 Chainsaw Fuel Lines

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:02 am

I never had a problem pulling lines except some cheap Chinese junk. You to need to lube them with a little fuel mix and use the correct size lines. It also helps to pull only until you can get a pair hemostats on the line then pull with them.

The 2150 Woodshark and Predator both uses 3.32 ID x 3/16 OD lines which is easier to pull than the smaller .080 x .140 lines, Now some of the cheap after market lines are too soft to pull that I had got over the years that why I stick to the Tygon 4040 elasticize plastic lines along Echo rubber lines. Just wait until see those smaller lines on the newer Poulan saw that they for the fuel pick up line and then use 3/16 od for the return.

Those Chinese lines usually have thinner walls too which is also why they tear out easily.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:13 am

What I do:

The hose has to not be pre-cut to proper length for this method. Sometimes the tapered end needs to be 3-4 inchs longer than normal in case the tapered end breaks off.
I cut away about 1/2 of the hose using a very sharp box cutter and leave a long tapered pointed section to push through the hole, lube the hose good and then take a pair of locking handle type hemostats or long handle needle nose pliers and gently pull the hose through. Selecting the proper size OD of tygon is the key to a good seal and the tygon is pliable enough for a good seal if OD is correct.

For chainsaws I usually replace the hoses with tygon tubing of the size that is a very snug fit for sealing. You can take a piece of your old hose to a NAPA store to get correct size OD and buy by the foot. Napa has the good stuff. I usually buy a kit from Amazon that has about 4 different sizes of tygon tubing about 3 feet long for less than $20, because I work on several different models of chainsaws.

Caution: I try to stay away from non-usa made tygon.

ever once in awhile I have to use a piece of small solid wire to guide the long tapered section of the tubing into a blind hole inside a gas tank for example guiding just the tapered end just enough to get a pull with the hemostats. I also only usually taper one end of the tubing. (pulling in only one direction for the complete hose)
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby OverKnight » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:42 pm

Thank you, Gentlemen. I got the lines I'm using from either Amazon or eBay, a package of four different sized lines. I think Arkie's point of leaving a l-o-n-g tapered section is where I might have gone wrong; my tapers were about 45 degrees and were too short. If I can cut the taper so it's at least 1/2" long, I shouldn't have a problem getting the line though the hole.

Again, thanks very much.
"I shall pass through this world but once. Any good I can do, or any kindness that I can show any human being, let me do it now and not defer it, for I shall not pass this way again."
- Stephen Grellet
OverKnight
Forum Regular

Postby SUKI » Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:19 am

That the same I got lines that were junk when I an item that I knew was good. Way too thin of a wall and they would just tear out on pulls. Use a lot Rotary 13369 line here whenever I can which is the after market Echo line.

It like those Stens TruBlue 100% ethanol resistant lines that were not supposed to shrink or harden. Well do both in only 10% ethanol fuel after about a month submerged in fuel mix. Just threw the line out several years ago and went back to Tygon 4040 as I had problem with the LP1200 lines separating the inner liner.
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Technical Discussion Forum