• Advertisement

air leak on small generator

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

air leak on small generator

Postby 38racing » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:05 pm

When I dropped off the mower to friend he showed me his small generator. Bought it used and has used it in past but it had starting issues so he bought a new carb. Now it surges awful if he opens the choke. Closing choke will smooth it out. Given the new carb I sprayed carb cleaner in area of spacer between carb and block. Engine smooths right out. I asked him about gaskets when he pulled carb. Today when I was there he pulled carb off. Gaskets were there but one was ripped. Turns out he may have left old gaskets on. He has 2 good balck ones, 1 good gray one and 1 bad gray one. Then he thought maybe carb wasn't tight. But we checked gaskets and checked tightness and it doesn't change a thing. Same symptoms . So he gave me the generator. LOL . Another project. The carb , spacer and an gaskest have no bleed holes so I may try rtv on the gaskets.
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: air leak on small generator

Postby bgsengine » Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:29 pm

make sure they are the right gaskets. if it is a honda or honda clone they got a LOT of "will fit" gaskets that look confusingly similar but slight variations in bore dimensions, hole placements, etc. Had one quite some time back, guy spent $300 in carburetors , ignitions, gaskets, what have you.. turned out all he needed was to get the right part number gasket - the one he had on it was just slightly too large (in the bore I.D.) , so while the gasket matched up perfectly to the carburetor, it was just a little too big for the tiny raised ridge on the insulator, so it was not sealing , and air leak was internal via the weep/ vent hole and slot in insulator.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby 38racing » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:37 pm

I will check hole sizes. There appear to be no holes in the insulator. The carb mounting holes are oval so I held it centred on studs while he tightened the nuts.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:29 am

38racing wrote:I will check hole sizes. There appear to be no holes in the insulator. The carb mounting holes are oval so I held it centred on studs while he tightened the nuts.
those oval mounting holes frequently mount on shouldered studs or bolts, should keep themselves fairly self-aligned (If it is the right carb for the application) also check if your assembly order of gaskets & insulator/spacer is correct - that can be critical too. (especially if there are "square-ish" gaskets involved, which need to align perfectly) I'd be amazed to see a carburetor on any modern-ish engine that could be moved around side to side on slotted holes once it is mounted in place just before fasteners are snugged down - how would one expect to have consistent governor and throttle settings, otherwise?
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby 38racing » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:28 am

I had considered governor but couldn't figure out how spraying with cleaner could straighten that out. If I recall correctly I could force the throttle open and it will smooth out. Doing that took a lot more force against the governor rod than I expected. His long spring on the throttle rod is attached but stretched/ bent at throttle lever.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:52 pm

well it's just been sitting but tonight I was looking around my workshop and happened to look at it. for some reason I touched the throttle shaft and I could move it side to side way more than I thought I should be able to. thought I had the air leak but.

there is a white bushing on throttle shaft on top of carb. it's a flanged bushing with the flange sitting on top of carb. I'm puzzled by it so I removed the throttle. the bori the bore in the carb is stepped. top of bore is larger. bottom is bore of the throttle shaft. so I thought maybe that bushing was upside down. however if you turn it over and put it in the bore it's od is still smaller than the upper bore. so I wrapped the bushing with Teflon tape until it had a snug fit. the shaft definitely has less side play. I didn't put throttle plate on yet. came back in the house and that's when I discovered a picture of the carb and it shows the bushing as it originally was.
https://www.vpowerequipment.com/carbure ... olEALw_wcB
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:05 am

Can always make a bushing for it. That what I done on the 600 usd Kawasaki carburetor where the choke wore completely in two and wore the through hole badly. I actually ended up using a Schedule 80 1/8 brass pipe machine down for the bushing.

I still can't explain why these carburetors are wearing the choke shafts. It is the second one I had to do.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:44 pm

well my inverted bushing with a piece of fuel line above as spacer didn't work. still had air leak. Since fuel line was a nice fit on the shaft I tried to reduce the od of a piece so it would fit in the bore. First attempt the shaft tightened as I forced hose in bore without reducing enough. I installed it anyway knowing the governor could not adjust the throttle. At least I found it would run ok without the major surging. So now I'm trying to get it so shaft is free enough for governor to work. Was just trying that when I got called to supper. I also think I may have forgot to ensure where the 2 holes of the throttle plate were located. They were over the shaft originally (so don't know why they even exist) and I repeated that each try until this last one so I'll have to pull carb to check. I may pull tank and do static adjust on the governor.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:33 am

holes in throttle plate? sounds like someone hacked together a carburetor and used a choke plate in place of throttle plate. highly likely you have a frankenstein carburetor, I'd suspect.
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:46 am

BGS I was beginning to think you was in deep hibernation or maybe recoping from taking out a hand rail like I me doing. I just about did it again this morning. Porch cover in black ice again.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum