• Advertisement

Homelite Chainsaw Sprocket

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Homelite Chainsaw Sprocket

Postby Skywatcher » Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:05 pm

Greetings All

Wondering if anyone could help me find an obsolete part. Working on a Canadian built 1979 Homelite Super-Mini (XL-1) chainsaw and need a replacement sprocket. The OEM # for the sprocket is A69436 which later subs up to A78911 + bushing and bearing. The sprocket dimensions are:

3/8" pitch - 7 tooth
Drum I.D. 2.700"
Drum depth .545"
Drum O.D. 2.845"
Bearing bore .687"

A Power-Mate system would almost be preferable as drive rims are relatively cheap and readily available. Thanks and all the best,

Sky

Machine Information:
Make: Homelite
Model: Super-Mini
UT # 50126
S/N: T7904228
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Advertisement

Re: Homelite Chainsaw Sprocket

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:46 am

Boy that saw been out production for a very long time.

Is this the 2-5/8" Diameter S-clutch, 5/8 crankshaft shaft. If so you can try Herr N157-A7 [Rotary 36-1656]. You might have better luck on getting the specs than I did.

Other than that you might some of the chainsaw forums.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:59 pm

sky:

Try this link to where the Homie lovers hang out.
If you do not see a forum just for your model just start a post and they will help.

https://houseofhomelite.proboards.com/
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby Skywatcher » Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:03 pm

Hi Again

Thank you for your replies. The actual crankshaft on this unit is 3/8", but the sprocket bearing rides on a bushing or inner race as the IPL calls it with an OD of .562". The one piece S-clutch is indeed 2-5/8", so I think we are on the right track with that dimension. When I attended a Homelite update seminar in 1983, I remember the Homelite representative telling us that the sprockets were all being subbed up to new P/N's so a common bearing would fit all saws and larger OD bushings were being made available to fit the new sprockets and bearings. I suspect that if this saw had the updated bushing, the sprocket that KE4 suggests would probably fit this saw. I know I have a later model Super Mini in the back shed, so I'll bring it into the shop, pull the clutch and sprocket to see what the diameter of the bushing is and go from there. Thanks again,

Sky
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:17 am

There is a 6 tooth 3/8 LP version with those specs. N152-M6, A97172A, A97172B. Fits Models: HOMELITE 240 AND 245, SUPER EZ, XL1 AND MINI EZ.

You didn't mention if 3/8 full size or LP was being used.

Either way getting some Homelite parts are impossible now. I had to kill of several Little Reds due oil pump diaphragm failures.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Skywatcher » Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:40 am

Hi KE4

Good point about 3/8" std. vs 3/8" lo-pro. Guess I assumed that by not stating 3/8" lo-pro, 3/8" std. would be assumed. The Super-Mini is of the XL-1 family so is 3/8" std. whereas 3/8" lo-pro is generally connected with the XL-2 family of saws. I still have stock of several XL-2 family drive sprockets in GB, Oregon and Laser. Will update my findings this evening once I've pulled the clutch on the other Super-Mini. Cheers,

Sky
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:53 am

The main reason I ask was that I cant find an IPL for the UT number you posted. It sorta like having to ask if the OP had used the correct chain, chain bar and sprocket. I do see mismatches several times a year.

Beside Sky I have learned never assume anything as it usually bites me in the tail feathers if I do.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Skywatcher » Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:03 pm

Hi Again KE4

You are correct, no IPL exists on the Internet for this UT- number. I still have a binder full of the original paper IPLs which I inherited from the dealership when they dropped the Homelite line in 1986. It's almost surprising how often I still refer to those IPLs as they are much quicker and easier than trying to find information like that on line. Some of the IPLs even have my hand written notes in them from the early 1980's. How's that for hanging onto vintage paperwork! All the best,

Sky
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:03 pm

Now I knew there was 4 companies that had Homelite but apparently there is one more.

Homelite
Homelite/Textron
Homelite/JD
Homelite/TTI
and now Homelite/Terry

Boy it is a lot to keep up with and really makes it hard to repair them.

Good luck finding something that works for your saw repair.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Gerry » Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:00 pm

Run across this advertising in the PET issue for Dec 2021. They advertise obsolete Homelite parts, phone: 502-228-1462 fax: 502-228-7737 ask for Ray.
Gerry
Guide

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum