• Advertisement

Sealed Battery

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Sealed Battery

Postby dennis » Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:45 pm

Thinking of putting a sealed battery on my log splitter. Even though the battery is not over-filled, the vibration tends to mist the electrolyte and get the acid on the engine and solenoid. It takes awhile, not like it is leaking. Any recommendations on sealed batteries? AGM vs regular lead acid?? (engine is 10.5HP).
Thanks.
dennis
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Sealed Battery

Postby RoyM » Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:19 pm

I would consider AGM but wonder why you are getting so much vibration
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:49 pm

Just isolate the standard battery with rubber matting, or build a battery box and mount it on rubber mounts, if you still have enough vibration then to mist the battery , then you've got mounting or balance problems with engine or hydraulic pump.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Arkie » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:30 pm

any battery sealed or not sealed that vibrates that much is going to have a reduced life span. (and price of batteries is getting ridiculously high) :o :(
You may have to use a type of mounting similar to how AC compressors use. Springs and rubber mounts.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:11 am

Let me ask a stupid question here. Is problem cause by using the log splitter or is it because you are towing it? I am thinking it from towing which the only solution is to remove the battery before towing. I have yet to see a log splitter to shaking that much while splitting wood.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dennis » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:09 pm

Thanks for the responses. The engine does not vibrate or shake excessively. Towing the splitter behind my riding mower over rough ground probably splashes the electrolite against the bottom of the caps, and some ends up on top of battery. Between the normal vibration of a 10.5 HP on a log splitter, and the air movement of an air cooled engine, a very small amount gets misted, sprayed, atomized, ends up on the equipment. I have no vibration problem. I was just wanting to know the pros and cons of a sealed vs standard lead battery, and if there are any suggestions for what type of sealed battery.
dennis
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum