• Advertisement

JD 1032D ignition switch? replacement

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

JD 1032D ignition switch? replacement

Postby jwales » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:03 am

My dad has a mid 90's John Deere 1032 snow blower. It is very clean and I am going through it. I replaced fuel and primer lines, fresh gas and it starts right up and seems to run well. I did find a small box with a new switch in it Part number AM102553. It attaches to the carb cover above choke lever. The old one must have fallen off. Anyway the switch has two tabs for wires to connect.
As I look around I only see one wire on the machine coming off that could hook up to it?? This switch is not an electric start. It appears to be more of a safety piece, turn on to run, off to not run. Looking for help to determine where the other wire would come from and which wire would attach to which connector. Maybe a wire diagram of this piece?
Thanks for your help.
jwales
Guide

Advertisement

Re: JD 1032D ignition switch? replacement

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:09 am

You just want to add a ground wire to the second terminal.

The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby jwales » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:20 pm

Thanks KE4AVB. So by this diagram I see there is only one wire (ground to engine) that connects to the switch. Now I dont have to worry that I am missing a wire. :lol:
Seems odd to have this safety when there are so many on this unit.
jwales
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:57 pm

What I am thinking it the JD switched from a self grounding switch due availability.

As the redundancy, it is probably just to help prevent unauthorized operation like some youngster trying to copy Daddy or Mommy.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby jwales » Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:36 pm

well i finally got around to installing the switch. The blower starts up but when I turn the key it will not turn off. I actually moved the ground wire to the other connection on the switch. No change, same thing blowers runs. One thing I did not realize before is that this also has a headlight. There is no switch for the headlight to turn on or off. The head light would not work when engine was running. I removed the bulb and it looks to be good. I may go buy a new one anyway to try. Cant be that expensive.

Any ideas why the switch and headlight) is not working as I thought it should? Is there a fuse that I'm not seeing/aware of? Could it just be a loose or bad wire?
Thanks, Joe
jwales
Guide

Postby Arkie » Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:43 am

You might consider going by wally world and buy a electrical tester. Vom (volt ohm meter)
Less than $20.
You can then electrically test the switch and the lighting circuit logically. ;)
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:40 am

Arkie wrote:You might consider going by wally world and buy a electrical tester. Vom (volt ohm meter)
Less than $20.
You can then electrically test the switch and the lighting circuit logically. ;)

I kinda hope you mean Walmart as Wally World here in Decatur, AL is gas/convenience store and I kinda doubt the Wally World here would have tester there but I have been wrong before. I know Wlamart does have the el cheapo testers.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:47 pm

Yep, try wal mart, Look at both the electrical and the hardware section. sometimes they have the same testers in both sections with different prices. :o
If not here, try wally ;)
Arkie
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum