• Advertisement

Yardman

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Yardman

Postby Gerry » Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:42 pm

Guys, I cant find any wear and tear, I matched up the splines in the gears and looks good. The belts still have the OEM numbers on them and are the correct belts. When I cracked this thing apart the bevel gears were caked in place....ie not moving. My thoughts are the grease was so caked that the MTD wimpy linkage just couldnt make the yoke do its job. Will look at again. Thanks!!!
Gerry
Guide

Postby Skywatcher » Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:16 pm

Hi Gerry

By your descriptions of what you've found so far, it does sound like hard caked Bentonite clay grease maybe the root of the problems. Other members here have suggested using and EP-2 grease as a replacement for the OEM grease, and as 38 says, make sure there's grease on the shaft and between the gears when you reassemble. Clean all the old caked grease out and wash everything with solvent to get all parts clean before re-packing and reassembling. Although it doesn't have any NGLI specs on the tube as it is a manufacturers specialty grease, I use John Deere Corn Head grease (P/N-AN102562) in these mechanical gear cases. Just checked online and here are the specs for the grease:

Service Rating: NGLI Grade 0
Specification: JDMJ13A5, J13E6, and J25A.

Physical Properties:
—Green color
—Contains extreme-pressure additives
—Excellent at high and low temperatures
—Resists moisture and water washout
—Polyurea thickened
—Contains anti-rust properties
—14-oz. tube compatible with most grease guns
—Also available in 35-lb pail

All the best,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby Gerry » Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:11 pm

Thanks for all the help!!! I repacked the TA with EP-2 grease cut with a tad of Oregon 00. Owner took home cut grass and said that it worked better than new. Gonna order some of the John Deere Corn Head grease for future jobs. Just wish that MTD would tighten up a bit but doubt they will listen to me.

Thanks again.
Gerry
Guide

Postby Arkie » Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:49 pm

Gerry wrote:Thanks for all the help!!! I repacked the TA with EP-2 grease cut with a tad of Oregon 00. Owner took home cut grass and said that it worked better than new. Gonna order some of the John Deere Corn Head grease for future jobs. Just wish that MTD would tighten up a bit but doubt they will listen to me.

Thanks again.

Good job. Hope the owner realizes how much effort you put into that dawg. Very few small engine lawn tractor service people will go to that much effort (labor) for a customer. (for those type TA's)
The hard packed grease inside actually saved that one. The owner HAD TO quit using. Usually the owners will just keep jerking and kicking until something breaks. I've seen them with spiders gears worn out and broke due to being run dry outer axles just flopping around in the housing bushings. (the clay grease hard packed and not lubing)
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby Skywatcher » Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:44 pm

Hi Gerry

About 15 years ago, I was at an update seminar where Tecumseh, Foote, and a couple of other makes of transaxle were being discussed. Talk in the industry even then was how MTD were not selling enough equipment, so were going to find ways of making their equipment lighter weight so they would wear out sooner. Why buy one John Deere tractor which will last 30 years, when you can buy an MTD for half the price that might last 10 years if you're lucky. All the best,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:56 am

Skywatcher wrote:Hi Gerry

About 15 years ago, I was at an update seminar where Tecumseh, Foote, and a couple of other makes of transaxle were being discussed. Talk in the industry even then was how MTD were not selling enough equipment, so were going to find ways of making their equipment lighter weight so they would wear out sooner. Why buy one John Deere tractor which will last 30 years, when you can buy an MTD for half the price that might last 10 years if you're lucky. All the best,

Sky

Yes JD lasts a long time except for dang plastic hoods. The UV is kill them for one thing and of course customers are breaking. I more JDs without hood than I do with hoods. Just looks so crappy because of this.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum