• Advertisement

Octagonal Mixture Screws on Zama Carburetor

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Octagonal Mixture Screws on Zama Carburetor

Postby Skywatcher » Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:30 pm

Greetings All

Just finished working on an almost new Stihl BG-86 leaf blower that had an issue with the air purge system of the carburetor. Ordered a new carburetor from Stihl dealer which came in today. Kind of surprised to see the carburetor had no limiter caps around the recessed mixture screws, so figured they were the hexagonal (six sided) headed screws. Went to tune for elevation above sea level (3,450 feet) but my adjustment tool would not fit. Closer examination revealed that they are octagonal (eight sided) screw heads. Has anyone else run into these yet? All the best,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Advertisement

Re: Octagonal Mixture Screws on Zama Carburetor

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:27 am

I haven't yet but since Stihl took over Zama they are really showing their back sides. I can't get full repair kits or most individual carburetor parts. All sell as repair kits is the GND kits and I need the full kits. And even when I do find the Stihl PNs the parts are just as high as a complete carburetor. All Stihl is trying to do is force us to have the equipment service by their dealers only instead of us just buying the parts. Otherwise they are acting like communists now.

Well the two dealers I deal with don't know how to repair the equipment. One couldn't figure out why the shaft drives were wearing out so quickly and other couldn't even find a defective spark plug.

Sky can you tell if the screws are still 4 mm?

BTW I got in three new carburetors yesterday and two of them have the 6 point 4 mm hex. I am also looking for the Technical Reference Guide that is newer than 2019.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Re: Octagonal Mixture Screws on Zama Carburetor

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:01 am

Sky an update.

I just got the Stihl 2022 Tech guide. PN for the 8 sided (Octagon) adjustment tool from Stihl is 5910 890 2314. Calling my dealer to order one today if not too costly.

EDIT> My Stihl dealer say it will cost me 16 usd. so I ordered one.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum