• Advertisement

Spark checker tool recomendation

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Spark checker tool recomendation

Postby creia » Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:28 pm

Can you recommend a good reliable spark checker at a reasonable price? I have misplaced the one I had. :oops: I have seen a few videos where the techs were using a "Pet 4000" by Echo- seems kind of pricey at $ 60-70 on eBay. :o Are the cheapo ones at $ 15-20 any good?
Thanks guys,
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Spark checker tool recomendation

Postby bgsengine » Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:57 am

wow.. $15 to $20 is cheap? whew. used to be under $10 , the oregon branded spark testers worked reasonably well though they were fixed gap, (I think the OE Briggs are the same product, just briggs branded) the Echo tester was high priced, but worth it if you want to be Able to adjust the spark gap (to check firing KV useful to test coils and electronic ignitions) among a few other features... But if you just need something to check spark the oregon branded ones are decent, or you can just make your own (block of wood and a couple #10-32 screws and nuts, solder a lead and clip , or whatever configuration works for you, then glue on thin sheets of plexiglas or magnifier both sides and drill a vent hole in one side)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby 38racing » Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:57 am

I just bought this briggs oem for 38 cdn. that's under 30 usd. does anyone know what the angled pointer is for?
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:54 pm

Thanks for the replies. :D
I only need it for basic spark checking. I believe that the one I had WAS and Oregon brand. I see that you can get them on eBay for about $ 13.00 shipped. I'll probably just get another one of those.
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby SUKI » Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:38 pm

You could always get your wife to hold wire to see if see lights up. :lol:
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Arkie » Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:55 pm

This oregon one is really good and bullet proof and can be left in series while the engine is running to constantly monitor spark, like if engine is sputtering every once in awhile and ignition is suspect. (just shade the view window if in bright sunlight for a better view) About $12 on flea bay. Briggs has one also that is identical and priced higher.
Oregon Genuine Spark Plug Tester # 42-087
Before I stumbled onto the Oregon few years ago I made one like bsengine described using plexiglass and brass machine screws and could adjust the spark gap, one side was adjusted for electronic (wider gap) and other side for points. I had to be careful with my epoxy glued plexglass tester because it is not as bullet proof as the Oregon.

I've had the neon lamp type indicate good spark when spark was actually weak and intermittent.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby bluemower » Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:46 am

comment from Arkie
I've had the neon lamp type indicate good spark when spark was actually weak and intermittent.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

previously, a local shop used these glow testers and could not figure out why an engine would not start. I loaned a Briggs "gap" tester and suprise! No spark.

The Briggs tester (and probably the Oregon) has a gap of .166. This requires about 13,000 volts to jump the gap and verifies the ignition coil is in good condition. Also verifies the coil will provide a strong spark with with engine compression. A cold engine usually requires about 8,000 volts to provide spark. When an engine is warm, about 4,000 volts is required to run. This information is from some old Briggs training videos.
bluemower
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:53 pm

Tnx Blue for pointing that out. I knew better myself than a neon light but of course I have dealt with electric and electronics repairs since '79.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:19 pm

I ended up getting the Oregon tester which I think is the same one I had before. Many thanks to all that replied! :D
MIchael
creia
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum