• Advertisement

Craftsman Riding Mower Electrical Problem

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Craftsman Riding Mower Electrical Problem

Postby dennis » Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:23 pm

I have a Craftsman DLT riding mower, Model 917.273451, with a 25 HP Briggs and Stratton twin cylinder engine.....Model 446777, Type 0246-E1, Code 021212YG01545. The ignition switch has 4 poles. Stop, Lights, Ignition, Start. When it is running, if I turn the switch to Lights, the engine will kill. I thought it was a bad ignition switch. However, if I unplug the lights, it will run when the switch is in the Lights postion. With the lights unplugged and the switch in the Ignition position, the ammeter shows good charging. If I turn the switch to the Lights postion, it continues to run, but the ammeter drops. Any help would be appreciated.
dennis
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Craftsman Riding Mower Electrical Problem

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:35 am

Here is the wiring schematic for 917.273451. Your either have a short in the lighting circuit or possibly a bad ignition switch. The ignition is a Delta 6900-47. You should find "47" embossed into it. According to the wiring schematic there is nothing on the "L" terminal other than the lighting circuit. Ohm out chart for the switch is in the lower left of the diagram.

I would go ahead and isolate the "L" terminal of the switch by removing the terminal from the connector. Then if you still have an amp drop, it got to related to the ignition I would think.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dennis » Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:18 pm

Thanks, KE4AVB. I will try that.
dennis
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:31 pm

Yep. Had had a couple that were no cranks over the years that the owner clipped the damaged headlight harness not knowing that the two grounds that were joined at the terminal could not be separated.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby dennis » Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:42 pm

Update.....checked complete lighting circuit for shorts and continuity, and could not find any shorts or open circuits. All terminals were surprisingly clean. Put everything back together, and now it runs with ignition switch in "lights" position with lights on, without killing. Go figure. If it happens again, after bouncing around a little, I will replace ignition switch. Thanks for help.
dennis
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:16 am

Did you check the wires for bare spots?
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:21 am

Subject: erratic acting lawn tractor ignition switches

I've seen lawn tractor ignition switches, especially the ones that set outside exposed to weather and the switch almost vertical on the dash (keyway pointed up so as to catch water) get water inside and get rust scale inside and cause electrical leakage across the terminals internally.
They will usually get erratic acting at first and spraying a contact cleaner into the key slot may result in a temporary fix.
The fix is a new replacement switch. You have to keep a heads up and use the CORRECT PART NUMBER for a replacement ignition switch. In this instance ONE SIZE DOES NOT FIT ALL electrically internally even though the terminal arrangement on the rear of the REPLACEMENT switch looks SAME AND THE ELECTRICAL wiring PLUG WILL FIT.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby dennis » Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:03 pm

KE4AVB....I did everywhere the wire was exposed, but not in the conduit.
dennis
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:10 pm

The switch used is a Delta 6900-47 switch. Several different graphic versions. Four position.

KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dennis » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:40 pm

Yep, that is what is on it. Thanks.
dennis
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum